D
    H
    M
    S
til Roskilde Festival 2014 - 29. juni til 6. juli

Roskilde Festivals diskussionforum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

Du skal være logget ind for at skrive indlæg. Log ind eller opret dig som bruger.

Quick guide for the search
X


  • Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Are you supose to have a high income to afford Roskilde Festival?


Poll
Question:
What do you think about the ticket fee?
accepteble
 
42 of 73 replies (58%)
on the contrary
 
31 of 73 replies (42%)


Author Message
Written on: 03.03.2009 02:42
Gustav Nyqvist
Posts: 12
I was just wondering.. Ive been to the festival since 2001 and it has since been the high point of the year. I always had to stretch my budget to its extreme, but now its getting kind of provocative, the ticket fee I mean. It's not like it includes three meals a day either.

I have nothing bad to say about the festival except that only ppl with solid jobs, vacations, in other words the middle class and upwards can afford it these days.
and of course ppl like me who will pay basically anything.
But! say's I, I say, this is not how it should be!

Kind Regards

Gustav

PS
dude, Im not a marxist..
Written on: 03.03.2009 12:46
wooly
Posts: 10
I think the roskilde ticket price is extremely good value. The two main festivals here (Oxegen and The Electric Picnic) are pretty much the same price and are less than half the length and less than half the fun.

It is expensive for me when you include the travel expenses etc. but i think the ticket price itself is very reasonable.
Written on: 03.03.2009 14:38
Pablo
Posts: 108
wooly wrote:

I think the roskilde ticket price is extremely good value. The two main festivals here (Oxegen and The Electric Picnic) are pretty much the same price and are less than half the length and less than half the fun.

It is expensive for me when you include the travel expenses etc. but i think the ticket price itself is very reasonable.


Seconded.

If put into comparison from other festivals, the price might be similar but its not really the same. Reading's prices have doubled in the last 10 years, for a 3 day festival.
Its something which was mass-debated (snigger) in the last forum. 170+ acts and a 7 day festival (albeit 4 of those include music + warmups) is very good value.
Written on: 03.03.2009 14:47
Lord Beef Jerky
Posts: 1500
Roskilde has always been good value, as has other festivals. They have an enourmous income coming not only from the ticket sale, but from volunteers, sponsors and a hell of a lot more. However the ticket price is getting out of hand IMO. It's getting more and more expensive every year, and with the financial crisis and their statement about booking smaller acts due to the economy, I don't see how this fits together. Good value? Yes. Fair price? No. Students and people of low income simply can't afford Roskilde no more, they need help from parents, friends or whatever to afford the ticket alone, and then you've got the 4-9 days you're gonna spend at the festival. If the ticket price keeps boosting, soon enough the festival will be for well-established yuppies and not the people who create the great feel of atmosphere anymore.
Written on: 03.03.2009 15:08
Limabeancross
Posts: 1426
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Roskilde has always been good value, as has other festivals. They have an enourmous income coming not only from the ticket sale, but from volunteers, sponsors and a hell of a lot more. However the ticket price is getting out of hand IMO. It's getting more and more expensive every year, and with the financial crisis and their statement about booking smaller acts due to the economy, I don't see how this fits together. Good value? Yes. Fair price? No. Students and people of low income simply can't afford Roskilde no more, they need help from parents, friends or whatever to afford the ticket alone, and then you've got the 4-9 days you're gonna spend at the festival. If the ticket price keeps boosting, soon enough the festival will be for well-established yuppies and not the people who create the great feel of atmosphere anymore.


Agreed. What statement are you talking about?
Written on: 03.03.2009 15:52
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2488
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Roskilde has always been good value, as has other festivals. They have an enourmous income coming not only from the ticket sale, but from volunteers, sponsors and a hell of a lot more. However the ticket price is getting out of hand IMO. It's getting more and more expensive every year, and with the financial crisis and their statement about booking smaller acts due to the economy, I don't see how this fits together. Good value? Yes. Fair price? No. Students and people of low income simply can't afford Roskilde no more, they need help from parents, friends or whatever to afford the ticket alone, and then you've got the 4-9 days you're gonna spend at the festival. If the ticket price keeps boosting, soon enough the festival will be for well-established yuppies and not the people who create the great feel of atmosphere anymore.


You don't have to be a yuppie to have money! In fact, I'm broke at the moment banghead.gif

icon_wink.gif
Written on: 03.03.2009 16:15
Mr. Monster
Posts: 940
Høst wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Roskilde has always been good value, as has other festivals. They have an enourmous income coming not only from the ticket sale, but from volunteers, sponsors and a hell of a lot more. However the ticket price is getting out of hand IMO. It's getting more and more expensive every year, and with the financial crisis and their statement about booking smaller acts due to the economy, I don't see how this fits together. Good value? Yes. Fair price? No. Students and people of low income simply can't afford Roskilde no more, they need help from parents, friends or whatever to afford the ticket alone, and then you've got the 4-9 days you're gonna spend at the festival. If the ticket price keeps boosting, soon enough the festival will be for well-established yuppies and not the people who create the great feel of atmosphere anymore.


You don't have to be a yuppie to have money! In fact, I'm broke at the moment banghead.gif

icon_wink.gif


So you already bought the ticket... icon_eek.gif
Written on: 03.03.2009 16:15
Lord Beef Jerky
Posts: 1500
Liam Cross wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Roskilde has always been good value, as has other festivals. They have an enourmous income coming not only from the ticket sale, but from volunteers, sponsors and a hell of a lot more. However the ticket price is getting out of hand IMO. It's getting more and more expensive every year, and with the financial crisis and their statement about booking smaller acts due to the economy, I don't see how this fits together. Good value? Yes. Fair price? No. Students and people of low income simply can't afford Roskilde no more, they need help from parents, friends or whatever to afford the ticket alone, and then you've got the 4-9 days you're gonna spend at the festival. If the ticket price keeps boosting, soon enough the festival will be for well-established yuppies and not the people who create the great feel of atmosphere anymore.


Agreed. What statement are you talking about?


Actually I don't know. It was on the old board somewhere.

Høst - you damn yuppie!
Written on: 03.03.2009 18:19
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2488
Monster71 wrote:

Høst wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Roskilde has always been good value, as has other festivals. They have an enourmous income coming not only from the ticket sale, but from volunteers, sponsors and a hell of a lot more. However the ticket price is getting out of hand IMO. It's getting more and more expensive every year, and with the financial crisis and their statement about booking smaller acts due to the economy, I don't see how this fits together. Good value? Yes. Fair price? No. Students and people of low income simply can't afford Roskilde no more, they need help from parents, friends or whatever to afford the ticket alone, and then you've got the 4-9 days you're gonna spend at the festival. If the ticket price keeps boosting, soon enough the festival will be for well-established yuppies and not the people who create the great feel of atmosphere anymore.


You don't have to be a yuppie to have money! In fact, I'm broke at the moment banghead.gif

icon_wink.gif


So you already bought the ticket... icon_eek.gif


No

When time comes. icon_wink.gif
Written on: 03.03.2009 18:19
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2488
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Liam Cross wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Roskilde has always been good value, as has other festivals. They have an enourmous income coming not only from the ticket sale, but from volunteers, sponsors and a hell of a lot more. However the ticket price is getting out of hand IMO. It's getting more and more expensive every year, and with the financial crisis and their statement about booking smaller acts due to the economy, I don't see how this fits together. Good value? Yes. Fair price? No. Students and people of low income simply can't afford Roskilde no more, they need help from parents, friends or whatever to afford the ticket alone, and then you've got the 4-9 days you're gonna spend at the festival. If the ticket price keeps boosting, soon enough the festival will be for well-established yuppies and not the people who create the great feel of atmosphere anymore.


Agreed. What statement are you talking about?


Actually I don't know. It was on the old board somewhere.

Høst - you damn yuppie!


A yuppie who's gonna buy you some beers icon_razz.gif
Written on: 03.03.2009 21:13
Saturnus
Posts: 3047
Comparing Roskilde to other festivals strictly on a cost basis is rather difficult. Roskilde is more days, have more bands and (free) non-music activities than any other festival in Europe I know of.

Also consider that the on-site mark up on food and beverages is severely limited compared to the Danish society in general, and in fact both are significantly cheaper than comparable prices in nearby cities.

A further point to consider is that Roskilde in contrast to many festivals allows beverages bought elsewhere to be taken into the camping ground, and indeed also into the festival ground (in an open container).

Then there's the whole undefinable and hard to evaluate "Roskilde feeling".

All in all, Roskilde is probably the best "bang for your buck"-festival anywhere in the world.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 03.03.2009 at 21:14.]
Written on: 03.03.2009 21:44
Mr. Monster
Posts: 940
Saturnus skrev:

Comparing Roskilde to other festivals strictly on a cost basis is rather difficult. Roskilde is more days, have more bands and (free) non-music activities than any other festival in Europe I know of.

Also consider that the on-site mark up on food and beverages is severely limited compared to the Danish society in general, and in fact both are significantly cheaper than comparable prices in nearby cities.

A further point to consider is that Roskilde in contrast to many festivals allows beverages bought elsewhere to be taken into the camping ground, and indeed also into the festival ground (in an open container).

Then there's the whole undefinable and hard to evaluate "Roskilde feeling".

All in all, Roskilde is probably the best "bang for your buck"-festival anywhere in the world.



That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.. so help me God (Ozzy!)
Written on: 04.03.2009 12:38
B.
Posts: 621
Saturnus said it all really (Welcome back!).
Maybe if we had a music days only ticket and a music + warm-up ticket people with less spending money could have a choice (and also not spend any money in food & drink during the warm-up).
Written on: 04.03.2009 14:17
MCP_DK
Posts: 126
well comparing to what other festival costs then i don't think Roskilde is very expensive. In general the cost of seeing live music and especially festivals has gone a lot the last few years.

So yes the ticketprice has gone up. Is it ridicoulos more expensive compared to other festivals and music events? No not really.
Written on: 04.03.2009 17:59
Limabeancross
Posts: 1426
TAFKAB wrote:

Saturnus said it all really (Welcome back!).
Maybe if we had a music days only ticket and a music + warm-up ticket people with less spending money could have a choice (and also not spend any money in food & drink during the warm-up).


But people have the choice to only come for the music days anyway. I very much doubt any music only tickets would be much cheaper. When you buy a ticket, I'm pretty sure none of the money goes towards having the camp sites open for the four days of warm-up.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 04.03.2009 at 18:00.]
Written on: 04.03.2009 20:51
Saturnus
Posts: 3047
There was for some years (2001 to 2005, if I recall correctly) differently priced tickets for with and without the warmup days but the difference between the two dimished every year it was in effect, so I guess they in the end decided that the administrative costs of having seperate pricings was greater than the actual price difference. Also the warmup creates revenue in the shops which Roskilde gets a percentage of, there's hardly any reason to assume these days don't in effect pay for themselves, or at least very nearly so.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 04.03.2009 at 20:52.]
Written on: 05.03.2009 19:54
MCP_DK
Posts: 126
Saturnus wrote:

There was for some years (2001 to 2005, if I recall correctly) differently priced tickets for with and without the warmup days but the difference between the two dimished every year it was in effect, so I guess they in the end decided that the administrative costs of having seperate pricings was greater than the actual price difference. Also the warmup creates revenue in the shops which Roskilde gets a percentage of, there's hardly any reason to assume these days don't in effect pay for themselves, or at least very nearly so.


Another big reason was the almost no-one bought the ex-warmup tickets. And the few that was sold was mostly by mistake (people just took whichever was cheaper) and was afterwards converted to a incl.Warmup ticket. So it was more confusing than a viable alternative.
Written on: 06.03.2009 08:45
Eric
Posts: 48
Yes I agree that it now going to be very expensive. Maybe specially for us swedish people and also probably for englishmen. Because we have a low valu against the denish DDK. Who had been really strong.

I have been at Roskilde since 2002 and every year have been realy great and I have had a fantastic time there. I´m know that it would be it even this year if I go. But the price have rise alot and you spend pretty much over a week at Roskilde.
The three lates years have I altough been at Sziget festival i Budapest. A big festival (7days) Who also give a really good line up and a lot of other fun events as well for 150euro for a one week ticket. I´m going to go to Sziget this year as well. But I still hope I will have enough money to go to Roskilde also. I have always a really good time at both of them.



[This article was edited 1 times, at last 06.03.2009 at 08:45.]
Written on: 06.03.2009 12:07
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2488
Eric skrev:

Yes I agree that it now going to be very expensive. Maybe specially for us swedish people and also probably for englishmen. Because we have a low valu against the denish DDK. Who had been really strong.

I have been at Roskilde since 2002 and every year have been realy great and I have had a fantastic time there. I´m know that it would be it even this year if I go. But the price have rise alot and you spend pretty much over a week at Roskilde.
The three lates years have I altough been at Sziget festival i Budapest. A big festival (7days) Who also give a really good line up and a lot of other fun events as well for 150euro for a one week ticket. I´m going to go to Sziget this year as well. But I still hope I will have enough money to go to Roskilde also. I have always a really good time at both of them.




I took a look at their site. They had no bands yet. What type of bands have they had previously?
Written on: 06.03.2009 12:40
Eric
Posts: 48
Yes theyre really slow with confirm the bands. But it will probably be soon. They have all type of band. Last year played Iron Maiden, R.E.M, Sex Pistols, The Killers, José Gonzalez, Flogging Molly, Sabaton, Volbeat, The Wombats, The Wombats, Danko Jones and many more.

Written on: 07.03.2009 21:35
Gustav Nyqvist
Posts: 12
The issue is not weather you get value for your money at Roskilde, of course you do. If you buy an expensive car, say a luxurious Mercedes, you would not expect people with a normal or less income to purchase that car.

(If people better yet, still does consume above their level of income, society might experience an economical set back. As when people buying houses they can’t afford... ring a bell?)

That is the issue with the Mercedes as well as with Roskilde festival.

Maybe I should have made the poll question, "Do you think people with average income and less could afford Roskilde Festival? Maybe the current statistics from the poll represent - on a regional level – the distribution of wealth?

Another issue is the rate of which the Festival price keeps rising. Can anybody say if it keeps parallel to inflation or other factors?

I know for a fact that general price rates have not risen with 20 - 25% since last year. In these times of financial crisis, inflation more seemingly stagnates as peoples spending cash becomes scares. That could make prices go up (doesn't have to), if there is an expectation of a lesser demand, in this case in music. But since the sun gazed on us all the last year, expectations should be up - and by a lot - as other authors above also have stated. That too, could make prices go up or down.. so what’s the deal?

Anyone?
Written on: 08.03.2009 10:14
Lord Beef Jerky
Posts: 1500
The prices of Roskilde will generally go up. They lost a lot of money on the collapse of Roskilde Bank.
Written on: 08.03.2009 12:26
Deleted user
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

They lost a lot of money on the collapse of Roskilde Bank.

I've got to correct you on that one. Roskilde Festival did not lose money on the collapse of Roskilde Bank.
Written on: 09.03.2009 18:59
Gustav Nyqvist
Posts: 12
Goddammit! I'll just say it, in order to get a discussion going!

Do we really want Roskilde to become a middle class yuppie festival, for Høst and his a likes!? ( nothing personal Høst icon_smile.gif )
Written on: 09.03.2009 21:37
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2488
Gustav Nyqvist skrev:

Goddammit! I'll just say it, in order to get a discussion going!

Do we really want Roskilde to become a middle class yuppie festival, for Høst and his a likes!? ( nothing personal Høst icon_smile.gif )


If they are all like me you would be saving the whole year to afford it! Damn that would be a nice festival! icon_cool.gif


E-mail
Password
Remember me
Forgot password?
Ophavsretten tilhører Roskilde Festival.
Informationerne må alene anvendes til eget ikke-kommercielt brug.
Dette site anvender cookies.
Læs mere om brugen...