D
    H
    M
    S
til Roskilde Festival 2015 - 27. juni til 4. juli

Roskilde Festivals diskussionforum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

Du skal være logget ind for at skrive indlæg. Log ind eller opret dig som bruger.

Quick guide for the search
X


  • Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Luxury camp and hotel


Author Message
Written on: 14.06.2010 09:12
B.
Posts: 663
Yesterday, only two weeks before the start of the festival, yet another camp options was announced:

http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/uk/news/singlenews/even-more-possibilities-for-accomodation/

The prices seem rather high for what you are supposed to get:
* 3x3 metres – DKK 1,500 (approx. EUR 200)
Up to 4 people get access to the area

* 5x5 metres – DKK 3,750 (approx. EUR 500)
Up to 8 people get access to the area

* 10x10 metres – DKK 5,000 (approx. EUR 670)
Up to 20 people get access to the area

A double room at the 'Green Comfort Hotel' costs DKK 10,000 (approx. EUR 1,342) for all eight days of festival.

It doesn't seem that much more comfortable compared to Get A Tent (now 200 extra spaces available).

Any thoughts on this?

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 14.06.2010 at 09:13.]
Written on: 14.06.2010 09:29
shelter
Posts: 13
I thought it was very expensive. 3x3 meters is just enough for one tent. You get access to a camping area very near to the showers and the festival area, but that's it as far as I can see.
Written on: 14.06.2010 10:39
Mr. Monster
Posts: 944
Interesting but too bloody expensive...

I see myself as being in the target group, being 35, financially set (not rich or anything), only visiting for 4 days.

So yeah, could be great, especially as the rules seems to be like a normal camp area and not like GAT (allowing pavilions etc).

BUT, we've rented a caravan for 5 days for the price of 3x3 meters of space and we would need 5x5 to fit in two tents and a pavilion. Of course we have to walk a lot more and don't have hot showers near by, but then again. Exercise is healthy and showers overrated...

But I'll probably stop by to check it out.

Written on: 14.06.2010 16:49
Saturnus
Posts: 3048
Ban on drinks brought to the festival site, and now several "VIP" type camping options. Is it just me that sees a trend by Roskilde to shift it's audience demographics?
Written on: 14.06.2010 18:07
Aleg-One
Posts: 1750
The prophecy is being fulfilled...

From my blog "The beverage incident":

"If things like this (that appeals to the consumerism and capitalism we live in all the other days of the year) happens it won’t be long before the Orange Feeling will be a bedtime-story all the Roskilde-veterans can tell the guests in Roskilde 2020, where people ‘camp’ in 4-star hotels with room-service, where you make dinner-reservations and go to a nice quiet concert in a seated hall, if you’re not lounging by the pool or having guided tours"

We already have the hotel and the pool at this point..
Written on: 14.06.2010 18:24
schlindholm
Posts: 391
Aleg-One wrote:

The prophecy is being fulfilled...

From my blog "The beverage incident":

"If things like this (that appeals to the consumerism and capitalism we live in all the other days of the year) happens it won’t be long before the Orange Feeling will be a bedtime-story all the Roskilde-veterans can tell the guests in Roskilde 2020, where people ‘camp’ in 4-star hotels with room-service, where you make dinner-reservations and go to a nice quiet concert in a seated hall, if you’re not lounging by the pool or having guided tours"

We already have the hotel and the pool at this point..


And here's your guided tours: http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/uk/partners/special_treatment/special_treatment_prices/
It has been official for a LONG time icon_razz.gif
Written on: 14.06.2010 18:28
Bongo Anders
Posts: 1155
Baah.

I really don´t see any problems here, RF should cater for all people and that means both rich and poor and us in between.

Not all changes are for the bad.

btw what is wrong with capitalism, i only think that Villy Søvndal voters see any problem in this. icon_biggrin.gif
Written on: 14.06.2010 18:30
Aleg-One
Posts: 1750
Lol haha didnt see that icon_biggrin.gif crazy..

And it doesnt really matter what I think of capitalism or who I vote for, but I like to escape it for a couple of days every year, and Roskilde usually is the best place to do that.
Written on: 14.06.2010 18:33
Bongo Anders
Posts: 1155
I´m sorry if you took it this way but my post was not directed at you, i was just trying to make a joke but clearly failed.
Written on: 14.06.2010 20:10
Aleg-One
Posts: 1750
No harm taken, didnt take it personally icon_smile.gif But your reply had some connections with what I wrote, therefore I decided to make an answer.
Written on: 14.06.2010 21:28
Bongo Anders
Posts: 1155
It was connected to your post but not personally at you, but i understand why it could be misunderstood and that leads me to the conclusion, think before you post. icon_biggrin.gif
Written on: 14.06.2010 22:13
MLindberg
Posts: 138
Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?
Written on: 14.06.2010 22:34
Lord Beef Jerky
Posts: 1507
MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.
Written on: 14.06.2010 22:39
MLindberg
Posts: 138
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.


I'm quite sure you are misunderstanding what I've written. I'm not trying to defend the no beverages-rule at all. In fact I didn't even mention it. I don't like that rule either. Basically I think we've got the same opinion when it comes to the luxury area.
Written on: 14.06.2010 22:42
Stefan Jespersgaard
Posts: 256
Where are these spots going to be ?
Written on: 14.06.2010 22:52
Saturnus
Posts: 3048
MLindberg wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.


I'm quite sure you are misunderstanding what I've written. I'm not trying to defend the no beverages-rule at all. In fact I didn't even mention it. I don't like that rule either. Basically I think we've got the same opinion when it comes to the luxury area.


What I do have against it is the Roskilde as the great equalizer, the although somewhat misguided, though all-prevailant feeling that all are there on equal terms. Of course that has never actually been the case as some would be poor and some would be rich regardless but there was always the knowledge that at least from the festivals perspective all were equal because they didn't provide special treatment for pay.

That feeling, the orange feeling, is gone or at least dying with the festivals recent rule changes and segmenting of the audience.

Though, I don't personally have anything against special treatment, I do believe that when Roskilde starts offering special treatment for a pay, they are selling out the very ideas those who started the festival had, and what they intended the festival to be.
Written on: 14.06.2010 23:42
Martin
Posts: 47
I have to agree with Saturnus, even though I liked the possibility to book camping in P and a parking lot in front of entrance east.

Anyhow, it is clearly visible that RF offers special treatment to the guests with big wallets. Soon the areas in front of the stages will be sold on separate tickets and I might be able to have my own slave, ups I meant volunteer, for some extra money and he will put up my tent, get my drinks ...

So far everyone was at least camping and enjoying the festival in the same area. This new way of separation worries me.

Maybe this becomes an even bigger issue than the "no drinks to the festival area".

Will RF introduce the caste system soon?

Hmm, where can I get that special wristband so that I do not get confused with those looser type guests with only small or average income, which cannot even afford to buy some drinks for their friends at the festival site?

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 14.06.2010 at 23:47.]
Written on: 15.06.2010 08:32
Bongo Anders
Posts: 1155
Come on do you think that those people will look at us as some loosers, if they go to Roskilde they are mostly into the Orange Feeling. They just don't like to sleep in a tent.

I'm guessing that one of the target groups is those people who are taking the bus/train from and to Copenhagen every day so the people was most likely also on Roskilde the previous years.

btw. its only a couple of 100 people that has access to this so you will hardly notice them.
Written on: 15.06.2010 09:17
Lord Beef Jerky
Posts: 1507
MLindberg wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.


I'm quite sure you are misunderstanding what I've written. I'm not trying to defend the no beverages-rule at all. In fact I didn't even mention it. I don't like that rule either. Basically I think we've got the same opinion when it comes to the luxury area.


I think it's far more likely that you misunderstood me. The problem with luxury camping is the shift in Roskildes target audience, and all this is connected with Roskildes other rules such as the beverage issue. There's a bigger interest in bringing in the settled and rich people to Roskilde while Roskildes previous main focus (a unique festival, a festival for everybody) has been forgotten.
Written on: 15.06.2010 09:32
Jim Daggerthuggert
Posts: 637
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.


I'm quite sure you are misunderstanding what I've written. I'm not trying to defend the no beverages-rule at all. In fact I didn't even mention it. I don't like that rule either. Basically I think we've got the same opinion when it comes to the luxury area.


I think it's far more likely that you misunderstood me. The problem with luxury camping is the shift in Roskildes target audience, and all this is connected with Roskildes other rules such as the beverage issue. There's a bigger interest in bringing in the settled and rich people to Roskilde while Roskildes previous main focus (a unique festival, a festival for everybody) has been forgotten.


Okay, this ends here. Enough is enough! This is not a sign that Roskilde is shifting it's target audience. The are just making it possible for everyone to enjoy Roskilde. When I was 15, I didn't care that I had to sleep two persons in a one person tent, that I had to eat luke warm canned food, drink very warm discount beer and so on. Now I'm in my 30th's and now I will not do such things.

It's not a question of money, it's a question of comfort. I cannot party a whole week with out sleep, baths and decent food. Not anymore. I'm still sleeping in the "normal" camp area, but in my own tent. In af few years I might have to choose not to go to Roskilde, because I'm to "old" to enjoy the whole very down to earth basic Roskilde, I enjoyed when I was 15.

This camping option and others, makes it possible for people to keep comming back, and beeing at Roskilde for the whole 8 days. Nothing wrong with that. If I was 15 I would do the classic Roskilde all ower again, not caring about how anyone else does it. This option is not discrimination or anything like that, it's the opposite.


And about the beverage insident, well I can see both sides of it. Ofcourse you should be able to bring a beer or two with you, on the other hand, with the possiblity to bring 1½ liters of vodka people could and probably would take advanges of this.

And Roskilde needs to have some funds, if the EU get it's ways and remove the tax-free income for Roskilde. All of the money Roskilde earns on the festival, has to go to different causes. So they can't make a profit on anything, but the drinks sales. If they don't have the option to make a profit, they might not be able to make Roskilde in a few years, due to the fucking EU.

Please, stop this bad karma dissucion. Let us have a festival as we want it, not how one group think it should be. Let there be classic festival for those who want that and let there be luxury for those who want that. Roskilde for all!
Written on: 15.06.2010 09:54
Lord Beef Jerky
Posts: 1507
Jim Daggerthuggert wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.


I'm quite sure you are misunderstanding what I've written. I'm not trying to defend the no beverages-rule at all. In fact I didn't even mention it. I don't like that rule either. Basically I think we've got the same opinion when it comes to the luxury area.


I think it's far more likely that you misunderstood me. The problem with luxury camping is the shift in Roskildes target audience, and all this is connected with Roskildes other rules such as the beverage issue. There's a bigger interest in bringing in the settled and rich people to Roskilde while Roskildes previous main focus (a unique festival, a festival for everybody) has been forgotten.


Okay, this ends here. Enough is enough! This is not a sign that Roskilde is shifting it's target audience. The are just making it possible for everyone to enjoy Roskilde. When I was 15, I didn't care that I had to sleep two persons in a one person tent, that I had to eat luke warm canned food, drink very warm discount beer and so on. Now I'm in my 30th's and now I will not do such things.

It's not a question of money, it's a question of comfort. I cannot party a whole week with out sleep, baths and decent food. Not anymore. I'm still sleeping in the "normal" camp area, but in my own tent. In af few years I might have to choose not to go to Roskilde, because I'm to "old" to enjoy the whole very down to earth basic Roskilde, I enjoyed when I was 15.

This camping option and others, makes it possible for people to keep comming back, and beeing at Roskilde for the whole 8 days. Nothing wrong with that. If I was 15 I would do the classic Roskilde all ower again, not caring about how anyone else does it. This option is not discrimination or anything like that, it's the opposite.


And about the beverage insident, well I can see both sides of it. Ofcourse you should be able to bring a beer or two with you, on the other hand, with the possiblity to bring 1½ liters of vodka people could and probably would take advanges of this.

And Roskilde needs to have some funds, if the EU get it's ways and remove the tax-free income for Roskilde. All of the money Roskilde earns on the festival, has to go to different causes. So they can't make a profit on anything, but the drinks sales. If they don't have the option to make a profit, they might not be able to make Roskilde in a few years, due to the fucking EU.

Please, stop this bad karma dissucion. Let us have a festival as we want it, not how one group think it should be. Let there be classic festival for those who want that and let there be luxury for those who want that. Roskilde for all!


I'm pretty sure the discussion won't stop here, just because you say so. And thank you for sharing your personal story, but as you know, everybody's different, and just because you had the money in your age of 15 to enjoy yourself, doesn't mean everybody else does. I started when I was 15 as well, and as I've said previous, I've never brought a beverage to the festival site itself, I do however know quite a few that did, because they quite simply couldn't afford buying beverages. This new rule doesn't make money magically appear in their pockets, all it does is shutting out this group of people, and if that's not a shift in target audience combined with other new rules as well as this one, what the hell is?

And who the hell are you to try and enforce your opinion on others? I'm not having a bad karma discussion of any sort, just trying to calmly explain that with these new rules Roskilde will not be as it's been so far in the future. They've shifted target audience before from the 90s till today, where their focus on underground rock has been put away for more mainstream radio stuff as well as electronic music of all sorts. I am aware that this stuff always has been there, but back when I started, it was a completely different group of people on the camping ground compared to today. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, not at all, that's just been your own subjective idea of what I'm saying, I'm only saying that it is different. Roskilde is doing this again, this time with more rules, more focus on getting a higher income by excluding a group with lower income, and now by offering luxury camping spots. This is so far however (combined) one of the worst decisions if not the worst decision in my 16 years of Roskilde. This is subjective, but at the very least let me be entitled to by opinion, as I'm letting you be entitled to yours, without telling me to "end it here". I will have a great Roskilde, as always, but I will NOT shut up and stop expressing my opinion, just because you or whomever says so. Now, let's go back to having a more civilized discussion, or else just stop reading what I'm writing if it affects you in such a negative way.
Written on: 15.06.2010 10:08
Jim Daggerthuggert
Posts: 637
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Jim Daggerthuggert wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.


I'm quite sure you are misunderstanding what I've written. I'm not trying to defend the no beverages-rule at all. In fact I didn't even mention it. I don't like that rule either. Basically I think we've got the same opinion when it comes to the luxury area.


I think it's far more likely that you misunderstood me. The problem with luxury camping is the shift in Roskildes target audience, and all this is connected with Roskildes other rules such as the beverage issue. There's a bigger interest in bringing in the settled and rich people to Roskilde while Roskildes previous main focus (a unique festival, a festival for everybody) has been forgotten.


Okay, this ends here. Enough is enough! This is not a sign that Roskilde is shifting it's target audience. The are just making it possible for everyone to enjoy Roskilde. When I was 15, I didn't care that I had to sleep two persons in a one person tent, that I had to eat luke warm canned food, drink very warm discount beer and so on. Now I'm in my 30th's and now I will not do such things.

It's not a question of money, it's a question of comfort. I cannot party a whole week with out sleep, baths and decent food. Not anymore. I'm still sleeping in the "normal" camp area, but in my own tent. In af few years I might have to choose not to go to Roskilde, because I'm to "old" to enjoy the whole very down to earth basic Roskilde, I enjoyed when I was 15.

This camping option and others, makes it possible for people to keep comming back, and beeing at Roskilde for the whole 8 days. Nothing wrong with that. If I was 15 I would do the classic Roskilde all ower again, not caring about how anyone else does it. This option is not discrimination or anything like that, it's the opposite.


And about the beverage insident, well I can see both sides of it. Ofcourse you should be able to bring a beer or two with you, on the other hand, with the possiblity to bring 1½ liters of vodka people could and probably would take advanges of this.

And Roskilde needs to have some funds, if the EU get it's ways and remove the tax-free income for Roskilde. All of the money Roskilde earns on the festival, has to go to different causes. So they can't make a profit on anything, but the drinks sales. If they don't have the option to make a profit, they might not be able to make Roskilde in a few years, due to the fucking EU.

Please, stop this bad karma dissucion. Let us have a festival as we want it, not how one group think it should be. Let there be classic festival for those who want that and let there be luxury for those who want that. Roskilde for all!


I'm pretty sure the discussion won't stop here, just because you say so. And thank you for sharing your personal story, but as you know, everybody's different, and just because you had the money in your age of 15 to enjoy yourself, doesn't mean everybody else does. I started when I was 15 as well, and as I've said previous, I've never brought a beverage to the festival site itself, I do however know quite a few that did, because they quite simply couldn't afford buying beverages. This new rule doesn't make money magically appear in their pockets, all it does is shutting out this group of people, and if that's not a shift in target audience combined with other new rules as well as this one, what the hell is?

And who the hell are you to try and enforce your opinion on others? I'm not having a bad karma discussion of any sort, just trying to calmly explain that with these new rules Roskilde will not be as it's been so far in the future. They've shifted target audience before from the 90s till today, where their focus on underground rock has been put away for more mainstream radio stuff as well as electronic music of all sorts. I am aware that this stuff always has been there, but back when I started, it was a completely different group of people on the camping ground compared to today. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, not at all, that's just been your own subjective idea of what I'm saying, I'm only saying that it is different. Roskilde is doing this again, this time with more rules, more focus on getting a higher income by excluding a group with lower income, and now by offering luxury camping spots. This is so far however (combined) one of the worst decisions if not the worst decision in my 16 years of Roskilde. This is subjective, but at the very least let me be entitled to by opinion, as I'm letting you be entitled to yours, without telling me to "end it here". I will have a great Roskilde, as always, but I will NOT shut up and stop expressing my opinion, just because you or whomever says so. Now, let's go back to having a more civilized discussion, or else just stop reading what I'm writing if it affects you in such a negative way.


Either you are not able to read or I'm not able to write. You sure don't understand anything I said. And you languge is horrible, angry and negative - far from civilized.
Written on: 15.06.2010 10:18
Lord Beef Jerky
Posts: 1507
Jim Daggerthuggert wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Jim Daggerthuggert wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

MLindberg wrote:

Seriously, I can't see the big problem in those luxury camp spots. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's that simple? You don't have to take a shower, if you don't like that either?
They are just trying to pull those people, who aren't fond of being filthy and living in mud a whole week, to the festival, and nothing is wrong with that?


Well, it's quite simple, isn't it? With luxury camp spots coming in and no beverages at the festival amongst other pricey rules ruling students and other "poor" people out, Roskilde is shifting it's target audience thus changing pretty much everything. If it was up to me, I'd drop the silly new rules, and still have the luxury camp spots, making it a festival for everyone... rich and comfy with cold beer and drinks as well as poor and uncomfortable with their own warm beer. Personally I'm somewhere in between, but have never brought any drinks to the festival... doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't be able to. I want a festival for everyone, not just financially set people.


I'm quite sure you are misunderstanding what I've written. I'm not trying to defend the no beverages-rule at all. In fact I didn't even mention it. I don't like that rule either. Basically I think we've got the same opinion when it comes to the luxury area.


I think it's far more likely that you misunderstood me. The problem with luxury camping is the shift in Roskildes target audience, and all this is connected with Roskildes other rules such as the beverage issue. There's a bigger interest in bringing in the settled and rich people to Roskilde while Roskildes previous main focus (a unique festival, a festival for everybody) has been forgotten.


Okay, this ends here. Enough is enough! This is not a sign that Roskilde is shifting it's target audience. The are just making it possible for everyone to enjoy Roskilde. When I was 15, I didn't care that I had to sleep two persons in a one person tent, that I had to eat luke warm canned food, drink very warm discount beer and so on. Now I'm in my 30th's and now I will not do such things.

It's not a question of money, it's a question of comfort. I cannot party a whole week with out sleep, baths and decent food. Not anymore. I'm still sleeping in the "normal" camp area, but in my own tent. In af few years I might have to choose not to go to Roskilde, because I'm to "old" to enjoy the whole very down to earth basic Roskilde, I enjoyed when I was 15.

This camping option and others, makes it possible for people to keep comming back, and beeing at Roskilde for the whole 8 days. Nothing wrong with that. If I was 15 I would do the classic Roskilde all ower again, not caring about how anyone else does it. This option is not discrimination or anything like that, it's the opposite.


And about the beverage insident, well I can see both sides of it. Ofcourse you should be able to bring a beer or two with you, on the other hand, with the possiblity to bring 1½ liters of vodka people could and probably would take advanges of this.

And Roskilde needs to have some funds, if the EU get it's ways and remove the tax-free income for Roskilde. All of the money Roskilde earns on the festival, has to go to different causes. So they can't make a profit on anything, but the drinks sales. If they don't have the option to make a profit, they might not be able to make Roskilde in a few years, due to the fucking EU.

Please, stop this bad karma dissucion. Let us have a festival as we want it, not how one group think it should be. Let there be classic festival for those who want that and let there be luxury for those who want that. Roskilde for all!


I'm pretty sure the discussion won't stop here, just because you say so. And thank you for sharing your personal story, but as you know, everybody's different, and just because you had the money in your age of 15 to enjoy yourself, doesn't mean everybody else does. I started when I was 15 as well, and as I've said previous, I've never brought a beverage to the festival site itself, I do however know quite a few that did, because they quite simply couldn't afford buying beverages. This new rule doesn't make money magically appear in their pockets, all it does is shutting out this group of people, and if that's not a shift in target audience combined with other new rules as well as this one, what the hell is?

And who the hell are you to try and enforce your opinion on others? I'm not having a bad karma discussion of any sort, just trying to calmly explain that with these new rules Roskilde will not be as it's been so far in the future. They've shifted target audience before from the 90s till today, where their focus on underground rock has been put away for more mainstream radio stuff as well as electronic music of all sorts. I am aware that this stuff always has been there, but back when I started, it was a completely different group of people on the camping ground compared to today. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, not at all, that's just been your own subjective idea of what I'm saying, I'm only saying that it is different. Roskilde is doing this again, this time with more rules, more focus on getting a higher income by excluding a group with lower income, and now by offering luxury camping spots. This is so far however (combined) one of the worst decisions if not the worst decision in my 16 years of Roskilde. This is subjective, but at the very least let me be entitled to by opinion, as I'm letting you be entitled to yours, without telling me to "end it here". I will have a great Roskilde, as always, but I will NOT shut up and stop expressing my opinion, just because you or whomever says so. Now, let's go back to having a more civilized discussion, or else just stop reading what I'm writing if it affects you in such a negative way.


Either you are not able to read or I'm not able to write. You sure don't understand anything I said. And you languge is horrible, angry and negative - far from civilized.


Well, fight fire with fire, right? Read my previous posts, they've been far from negative in any way, until you came on telling me to shut up. Like I said "let's go back to having a more civilized discussion" meaning us both, as I usually never write in such a manner, but I've always hated when someone drops by telling me, that I can't have an opinion or I'm not allowed to express it. So yeah, I did get angry, as it seems like you did.

I'll put it as plainly and calmly as I can - the new rules all exclude people with a lower income. One example is the beverage issue, making people with a lower income not able to bring their own beverages into the fetival site (they won't be able to buy stuff in here, since they can't aford it). The new EU rule hasn't been passed yet (and we really don't know if it will), so making a rule like this based on probability, they might as well make a huge metal dome over the festival, because a plane "could potentially" crash. Far out scenario, but in all seriousness, why not wait until that happens, and then deal with it? Logically more people would approve of this. Another example is the luxury camping spots, which makes the festival more appealing to those with a higher income. If it was indeed about comfort and not about money, why does it cost so much more? I'm pretty sure the most of us would rather be in the normal camping ground area anyway, and if it's not about money, they should make it a "first one there get's it". So seriously, both you and I know it's about profit. Personally I'm not toally against the luxury camping spots, as I've mentioned before, I'm against them because of the other rules combined with this one seems like they're excluding a very important group of people at Roskilde, and focusing far more on a smaller group, just because they have more money. All this leads me to believe there's a shift in Roskilde's target audience. If you disagree, fine. Either post your own beliefs here, or just ignore me... just don't tell me to end the discussion.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 15.06.2010 at 10:21.]
Written on: 15.06.2010 10:35
Fredde
Posts: 824
In my opinion the only "luxury" about paying for these spots is location, location, location.
The Green Comfort camping was already marked on a map I have saved since early may, and it's not stealing "old camping" from anyone, it's a new area previously not used.
The information on what they were supposed to do with it has not just been communicated.

If you do the math and manage to get 20 of your friends to pitch in 250Dkk you will get a designated area of 10x10meters, don't need to rush for good spots, no late night surprises with a couple more tents pitched.
And considering the location it's sure worth the extra cost.
Written on: 15.06.2010 10:45
Jim Daggerthuggert
Posts: 637
Okay, I’m trying again this time with help Word with the English. I want Roskilde to be a festival for everyone. When I was younger and didn’t have any money, I lived for less than 100 dkk a day. It was hard but all part of the experience. A few years back, I finished my education and got a job and because of that more money.

As I have been getting older, I can no longer enjoy the festival experience I could when I was younger and poorer. I need decent food and more sleep to function and enjoy the music. This has been made possible now. Not this year but maybe in a couple of years, I will have to stop coming to Roskilde, if I’m not able to find a solution where I can get my 6 hours sleep.

You could say that okay then, you are too old to go to Roskilde now, but I think that would be sad, for me and anyone like me. Now we don’t have to stop coming or find alternative solutions, hotels, camping wagons and such.

I can see that the audience has changed - people who came in the early years, the 70’ thies and 80’thies would probably say the same about the audience in the 90’thies when I started coming. In the 90’thies there were any warm-up bands, there weren’t any huge hi-fi systems around playing all night. People didn’t bring tents with more room than they needed and so on.

But even the world has changed since then, Music has change. Fashion has changed. I don’t particular enjoy techno music all night, from huge hi-fi systems – but it’s part of the festival now. Young people today, coming to there first festival has tons and tons of cloth with them, looking cool every day. Even the drugs have changed.

I like the fact that Roskilde is for everyone, not just the young hip people of today, but also the hippies from the 70’thies and the grunge-“kids” from the 90’thies. People like me, who want to be able to come for the rest of there lives. It’s not a bad thing that the festival is trying to make that possible. It’s not a bad thing that the festival is moving with time.

And again, the beverage incident is not Roskildes fault, it the European Union’s. They do need some cash in the bank if they loose the right to be a non-profit, tax-free festival. They could raise the ticket price, but that would exclude many people. I would still come, but if I was 15 again, and had to save up for the festival for a whole year (as I did in the 90’thies), I might not be able to come. The ticket is already very expensive.

Roskilde is just trying to find a way to exists in 5 and 10 and even 25 years from now. How can that be a bad thing? It might not work, this beverage thing, but then please, come give some ideas to a better solution for them to make a small profit, giving them a chance of having money in the bank for a rainy day. The will need it, if the EU succeed.

I feel sad that there is so much negative vibes about the festival this year. I for one think the dissuasion has lost it track and is drowning in negativity. I like the orange-care-free feeling I have experienced up until now. There have been many new rules over the years, such as no crowd-surfing, no cooking in the camp areas, no fires, no furniture, refund on gazebos and batteries, lines to the camping area and so one. Rule to make the festival safer, rules to make it cheaper to clean the ground (more profit).

And I do think this discussion has been running in a ring. I was trying to make a point, trying to find the Roskilde spirit and my own happiness. I’m excide, still, about this years Roskilde. I hope most people are, even though there have be changes. Please don’t let new rules drown that.


E-mail
Password
Remember me
Forgot password?
Ophavsretten tilhører Roskilde Festival.
Informationerne må alene anvendes til eget ikke-kommercielt brug.
Dette site anvender cookies.
Læs mere om brugen...