D
    H
    M
    S
til Roskilde Festival 2014 - 29. juni til 6. juli

Roskilde Festivals diskussionforum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

Du skal være logget ind for at skrive indlæg. Log ind eller opret dig som bruger.

Quick guide for the search
X

• Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Disappointing line up 2013

Written on: 28.03.2013 10:47
chris
Despite some highlights, the breadth of artists is not wide enough and there are too few really big names from the rock and/or alternative genre. Just seen Glastonbury line up and it is awesome ditto Leeds festival. I am a long time supporter of RF and have attended since 2001 and it has easily been the equal of Glastonbury most years. However, 2012 and 2013 RF line ups are the least interesting ever and I am very disappointed. Just praying there is something good to come.
Written on: 28.03.2013 10:53
Tobias
All big Glasto names have been announced, Roskilde still has a few left. I think that Roskilde has some great acts that Glasto hasn't (The National, Sigur Ros, Kendrick Lamar ... icon_smile.gif). However Glasto has bigger headliners. But Roskilde might announce something nice when the Poster gets revealed.
Written on: 28.03.2013 10:56
Desmond
chris wrote:

Despite some highlights, the breadth of artists is not wide enough and there are too few really big names from the rock and/or alternative genre. Just seen Glastonbury line up and it is awesome ditto Leeds festival. I am a long time supporter of RF and have attended since 2001 and it has easily been the equal of Glastonbury most years. However, 2012 and 2013 RF line ups are the least interesting ever and I am very disappointed. Just praying there is something good to come.

there are a lot of other festivals for you to go, stop complainig!

http://roskilde-festival.dk/forum/mm_forum_pi1/posts/lineupartists/best_lineup_since_2010_already/
Written on: 28.03.2013 12:10
chris
Desmond wrote:

chris wrote:

there are a lot of other festivals for you to go, stop complainig!

http://roskilde-festival.dk/forum/mm_forum_pi1/posts/lineupartists/best_lineup_since_2010_already/

Dude I already bought my ticket, before the line up was announced and on trust that the Line up would be good. And why shouldn't I share my opinion?
Written on: 28.03.2013 12:12
chris
Tobias wrote:

All big Glasto names have been announced, Roskilde still has a few left. I think that Roskilde has some great acts that Glasto hasn't (The National, Sigur Ros, Kendrick Lamar ... icon_smile.gif). However Glasto has bigger headliners. But Roskilde might announce something nice when the Poster gets revealed.

True. I will keep my fingers crossed!
Written on: 28.03.2013 12:39
Wallu
Wouldn´t call the line-up disappointing, but I somewhat have to agree a bit. Don´t listen to metal, rap (except when there´s a live band) or electronic music that much so I can´t say much about those genres. But if I understand correctly, those genres are well taken care of.

Yet, I´m still wondering if I´ll see any shows on Orange this year. Depends totally on schedule, maybe I´ll see them all as they´re ok, but nothing really special there (except for Kraftverk maybe).

World music-wise we´re still far behind from couple of last years line-ups. And no bands with horn-section yet, what´s that about?? (somehow I dont´t count Of Monsters and Men etc. here, but maybe you get my drift). So shiny dancing shoes are maybe left home.

Where we´re good is with some really interesting small underground rockish bands (Goat, Savages, Uncle Acid, Pää Kii etc.). And that kind of happy sitting-on-the-grass-in-sunshine-with-a-hay-on-my-hat kind of hippie music is good with of Monsters and Men and Lumineers around.

There´s still 120 acts to come and I´m sure there´s plenty of good stuff to come. Couple of funky party bands, maybe some world music acts and a real Charles Bradley/Lee Fields-type soul man/woman and I´m very happy. Hardcore punk wouldn´t hurt either. And something totally unique and weird like Dead Can Dance or the Meridian Brothers is always good.

So, not really ecstatic yet, but I´m sure I will be. Every year the programme seems way better after the festival. And to be fair it isn´t that bad even now...

and get Death Hawks!!!
Written on: 28.03.2013 13:37
Richard
First off, Desmond's remark up there, --there are a lot of other festivals for you to go, stop complainig!-- - the old hillbilly --if you don't like it, you can just get out-- argument: always appreciated, always helpful, always constructive. Thanks for your contribution, which, judging by your profile meme, must have gone through deep analysis before getting the go-ahead.

More to the point: I started going to Roskilde in 1999, and after more than a dozen visits in a row finally suspended my patronage last year. The new music director lady who came on board a few years seems to have set her mind on turning Roskilde into a festival for acts that will be great 3-5 years down the line - she (or whoever has taken over in the meantime?) seems to get a kick out of the idea of being able to say theat she --knew it all along-- like a 40 year old hipster. Such a knowledgeable music curator! Well done. Unfortunately, most people derive their fun and joy of music festivals also and not the least from having a blast with music that's great now, while it's great, or has been great for years/decades / --classics-- on top of the odd curve ball geared towards the future. Who goes to music festivals only to be told --you might not recognise any of this now, but you'll be able to say you were there before they were famous - so have a swell time now with that thought alone--. Is the new management a bunch of sad hipsters, feeding off the --I knew it before it was cool-- vibe?

I started having severe doubts about the line-up YEARS ago - and still flew in from the UK or drove up from Germany or Austria or wherever I was living at the time. It was all worth my while. but the point came two years ago when I had to ask myself whether that what made Roskilde Roskilde - i.e. the people, the atmoshpere, the Scandinavian girls - was enough to offset the dramatic decline in the quality of the line-up as it were then - not as it would be seen at 5 year's hindsight.

Ha, almost funny - a case in point: Roskilde's latest news:
--Strong upcoming names join the line-up--

Glasttonbury's latest news:
--Rolling Stones at Glastonbury 2013--
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/9958533/Rolling-Stones-at-Glastonbury-2013-Mick-Jagger-Ive-got-my-wellies-ready.html

Catch my drift? Ok, go on and feed me some cynical sh*te about how they are too old to stand up straight or God knows - and then see if you don't find that 9 out of 10 visitors at this year's Roskile wouldn't have LOVED to see them - perhaps the first time ever!

I rest my case.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 28.03.2013 at 13:40.]
Written on: 28.03.2013 13:40
Christian Forslund
Tobias wrote:

I'm not impressed by the headliners at Glastonbury, and I don't think they have bigger headliners: Yes Rolling Stones is huge, but besides them, there are no big headliners and their musicprofile looks more like Northside on Stereoroids than RF, with a much narrower program.

But I like the RF announcements so far, which already seems better than 2011 and 2012, and I believe that I will have to sort my like-to-see-list this year, beacse there is so much I like to see.

But it's probably a question of taste, bacause mainstream rock, which Glastonbury focuses much on is not a strong genre at RF unlike Metal, HipHop and electronic, so people preferring that could be dissapointed.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 28.03.2013 at 13:51.]
Written on: 28.03.2013 15:33
Wallu
Well I must be one of those almost 40-year-old hipsters Richard was talking about, going to see small bands and waiting for them to maybe get bigger. Thus, I don´t do this only to brag about it in the future. Sometimes the gigs just are better with fresh, not-so-well-known bands in small venues rather than from half a mile away in big stadiums. Saw U2 a year ago and they were pretty tired costing 150 euros.

Of course everyone would love to see The Stones, they´re the Stones for gods sake, but to say Roskilde´s turned it´s back on big stars in favor of new-and-upcomig is quite unfair. Last year we had Björk, Springsteen and The Cure as headliners and they weren´t born yesterday. I like the mix Roskilde has.
Written on: 28.03.2013 15:44
Kaneda
Richard wrote:

More to the point: I started going to Roskilde in 1999, and after more than a dozen visits in a row finally suspended my patronage last year. The new music director lady who came on board a few years seems to have set her mind on turning Roskilde into a festival for acts that will be great 3-5 years down the line - she (or whoever has taken over in the meantime?) seems to get a kick out of the idea of being able to say theat she --knew it all along-- like a 40 year old hipster.

Erm... No-one has taken over a few years ago. Rikke Øxner has been the music director since 2002 (and before that, in all but name) and a music booker since the early/mid 90's. You may argue that she's gotten too old if you like (I don't think she has), but she's the same person she was when she (and the rest of the team) booked the music you loved in 1999.

I've complained quite a bit about the music programme in the past 5-or-so years, but I actually quite liked the past couple of years - placed last year's programme as the strongest since 2005 or thereabouts (in hindsight). And - like Wallu - although I don't quite have the age for it yet, I must be one of those 40 year old hipsters too. I mainly go to Roskilde to find new stuff to listen to.

After almost 20 years at the festival, I don't expect them to cater to me anymore - and I've given up correcting them when they claim "Roskilde was never a rock festival". But they're still doing quite well, I think, even if I'd like more focus and diversity on the rock front lately.

That said, I'm also not a big fan of metal, hiphop or electronic, and I also like my classics - but they do tend to show up at Roskilde too - in spite of what the festival said a few years ago about "dinosaurs".

[This article was edited 5 times, at last 28.03.2013 at 16:14.]
Written on: 28.03.2013 16:08
Tobias

I'm not impressed by the headliners at Glastonbury, and I don't think they have bigger headliners: Yes Rolling Stones is huge, but besides them, there are no big headliners and their musicprofile looks more like Northside on Stereoroids than RF, with a much narrower program.

But I like the RF announcements so far, which already seems better than 2011 and 2012, and I believe that I will have to sort my like-to-see-list this year, beacse there is so much I like to see.

But it's probably a question of taste, bacause mainstream rock, which Glastonbury focuses much on is not a strong genre at RF unlike Metal, HipHop and electronic, so people preferring that could be dissapointed.

They also have Nick Cave, Elvis Costello, Portishead, Phoenix, Nas and Public Enemy. Most of them are bigger than Roskilde headliners. And Glastonbury does not focus on mainstream rock, have you seen the line up? It is very diverse and especially the small, non main-stream music part of the line up is very good.

I am not making a case that RF does not have a good line up, just not agreeing with you saying Glastonbury has a narrower line up. I would rather argue it is much more diverse. At the moment Roskilde is not that diverse, some genres are well represented and some genres aren't.

[This article was edited 3 times, at last 28.03.2013 at 16:10.]
Written on: 28.03.2013 17:24
Christian Forslund
Tobias wrote:

They also have Nick Cave, Elvis Costello, Portishead, Phoenix, Nas and Public Enemy. Most of them are bigger than Roskilde headliners. And Glastonbury does not focus on mainstream rock, have you seen the line up? It is very diverse and especially the small, non main-stream music part of the line up is very good.

I am not making a case that RF does not have a good line up, just not agreeing with you saying Glastonbury has a narrower line up. I would rather argue it is much more diverse. At the moment Roskilde is not that diverse, some genres are well represented and some genres aren't.

I didn't say they didn't have other headliners, but the first three I noticed was Arctic Monkeys, Portishead and Nick Cave... the headliners on Northside. Elvis Costollo has been a headliner before at Roskilde, but at this time he is hardly wellknown, I don't know Phoenix or Nas and I don't know how big Public Enemy are, so the bands might be headliners, but I think Rolling Stones are the only big headliner.
Written on: 29.03.2013 09:47
Coldblooded
Tobias wrote:

Regarding the diversity, I think you are wrong. What Glasto is good at is pop and rock music and the electronic/urban genres that does well in the radio or WILL do well in a few years. They don't give a fuck about metal and hardly a fuck about world music. Yes, they have Rokia Traoré, but that's about it. They're mainstream as hell. Even the John Peel stage is so full of pop that he would rotate in his grave if he saw it.

Roskilde on the other hand goes across the whole spectrum. I'm not saying that Glasto has a weak lineup. It's strong – like it is every year, where they're not taking a break. And I'd love to hear at least 20 of the bands on their ugly-ass poster. I think though, that their 2011 lineup looked much stronger. Maybe the Stones sucked the bottom out of their budget. Tired old men...
Written on: 29.03.2013 09:51
Saturnus
Christian Forslund wrote:

I have to agree. Glasto's headliners this year is possibly the weakest in a decade. I'm torn about Rolling Stones, I might see them for the freak show that they are but musically they stopped having any relevance 20-30 years ago. The rest of the Glasto headliners are incredibly weak. When you consider how big the festival is you'd expect much more than just one top headliner.
Written on: 29.03.2013 10:48
Classic rock dude!
If Roskilde had Glastonbury's lineup we would be talking about whether it was amongst the best lineups at RF ever.

Keep it real guys!

WE can nitpick about not enough bogus world bands and not enough metal (better argument IMO), but when push comes to shove; in terms of which lineup will guarantee the best party for most it's Glastonbury. Hands down.

The strenght is not in the headliners but the subliners, and come on!.... that one is totally awesome:

The Weeknd (RF must really book this guy)
Primal Scream
(Nas, possible headliner)
Public Enemy (can be booked cheap I think and would fit RF like a glove)
Vampire Weekend
Elvis Costello
Vaccines
Dizzie Rascal
Kenny Rogers
Billy Bragg
Rufus Wainright
First Aid Kit
The XX
Chase & Status
Tame Impala
Azelia Banks
The Hives
Major Lazer
Foals
Cat Power
The Horrors
Dinosaur JR!
Calexico
Palma Violets (Awesome band, I recommend!)
Alice Russell
Fuck Buttons
Django Django
Devandra Benhart
Crystal Castels
Johhny Marr
Phoenix
James Blake
Tyler, The Creator
Charles Bradles
SBTAKT
Steve Winwood
Sinead O'Connor
Lucinda Williams
Gary Clark Jr (Really should be at RF. Fits the profile perfectly. Up and coming. But he plays
blues rock, so maybe not)
The Proclaimers
Simian Mobile Disco
Leftfield

They book safe bands with a reputation. Bands that people have heard about and can make an opinion on seeing whether they like the band or not; not based on some fanzy band description in the festival booklet....

Seems they have pretty much every genre covered with top, top bands within their field. Trying to pick apart that lineup is mindboggling to me. Really. Wish I could afford going! icon_wink.gif

Rolling Stones: To me, even if they haven't done anything great on record very often since the mid 80's it's still about seeing them live. From every report I have heard they are great, and they should have a few OK songs to pick from icon_wink.gif

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 29.03.2013 at 10:56.]
Written on: 29.03.2013 11:16
Coldblooded
Høstler:

Seems they have pretty much every genre covered with top, top bands within their field. Trying to pick apart that lineup is mindboggling to me. Really. Wish I could afford going! icon_wink.gif

I agree with the Glasto lineup being strong in the subliners. My top 20 is also pretty much the same as yours minus a few. But the above statement is just patently untrue – EXACTLY because of the genres, Glasto omits every year. If Glasto for example had booked Queens of the Stone Age, they would have been the absolutely heaviest band of the lot. That speaks volumes about how they disregard certain genres – metal and world music in particular.

That being said, I think we'll see a lot of the bands booked for Glasto in the Roskilde lineup as well. Palma Violets for example is an obvious booking, as they're in Norway during Roskilde anyway.

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 29.03.2013 at 13:25.]
Written on: 29.03.2013 11:32
Saturnus
Classic rock dude! wrote:

If Roskilde had Glastonbury's lineup we would be talking about whether it was amongst the best lineups at RF ever.

If Roskilde had Glasto's line-up I'd rate it as the worst in history and seriously consider selling my ticket. Luckily, Roskilde isn't Glasto, and they have entirely different music profiles.

We can nitpick about not enough bogus world bands and not enough metal (better argument IMO)...

That is what I mainly see at Roskilde. And one of the main reasons I go there in the first place. Without a good world music and decent metal line-up, I'd probably not be interested in Roskilde in the first place*.

EDIT: *Well, I might but that would be for reasons beyond the music program so it would not make sense to include that here.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 29.03.2013 at 11:37.]
Written on: 29.03.2013 12:50
Ruslabox
Come on guys, discussing whether or not the lineup is good or bad or if it's too narrow and whatnot makes no sense before the big release. I'll happily engage in this conversation after april 18th. icon_smile.gif
Written on: 29.03.2013 17:01
Classic rock dude!
Coldblooded wrote:

Høstler:

I agree with the Glasto lineup being strong in the subliners. My top 20 is also pretty much the same as yours minus a few. But the above statement is just patently untrue – EXACTLY because of the genres, Glasto omits every year. If Glasto for example had booked Queens of the Stone Age, they would have been the absolutely heaviest band of the lot. That speaks volumes about how they disregard certain genres – metal and world music in particular.

That being said, I think we'll see a lot of the bands booked for Glasto in the Roskilde lineup as well. Palma Violets for example is an obvious booking, as they're in Norway during Roskilde anyway.

I wrote in the beginning of my post that they were weak on the headliners and world, so I was having that in mind when I wrote the statement you quoted.

Add 4-5 of RF metal bands and the lineup would pretty much be perfect. Agreed?
Written on: 29.03.2013 17:03
Classic rock dude!
Saturnus wrote:

If Roskilde had Glasto's line-up I'd rate it as the worst in history and seriously consider selling my ticket. Luckily, Roskilde isn't Glasto, and they have entirely different music profiles.

We can nitpick about not enough bogus world bands and not enough metal (better argument IMO)...

That is what I mainly see at Roskilde. And one of the main reasons I go there in the first place. Without a good world music and decent metal line-up, I'd probably not be interested in Roskilde in the first place*.

EDIT: *Well, I might but that would be for reasons beyond the music program so it would not make sense to include that here.

So what did you come for at RF when you started going in the early 90's (was it?)

There wasn't that much world, although quite a bit; but a whole lot of subliners and small print of the level of those I highlighted at Glasto.

Written on: 29.03.2013 17:34
Coldblooded

Coldblooded wrote:

Høstler:

I wrote in the beginning of my post that they were weak on the headliners and world, so I was having that in mind when I wrote the statement you quoted.

Add 4-5 of RF metal bands and the lineup would pretty much be perfect. Agreed?

Not really. It would still be a really mainstream lineup with the 'weird' genres tacked on to disguise the lack of diversity.

The more I look at Glasto's 2013 lineup, the more I think their 2011 lineup was so much better, even though, really there's lots and lots of repeats from then: http://247magazine.co.uk/wp-content/themes/247magazine-images/2011/04/Glasto_2011-Lineup-600x848.jpg
(What's the deal with that btw.? Isn't the festival supposed to reinvent themselves through the lineup?)
Written on: 29.03.2013 18:29
Saturnus
So what did you come for at RF when you started going in the early 90's (was it?)

I wasn't always that into world music

Main bands I wanted to see over my first 5 years at the festival.

1986(only there Sunday): Metallica (original line up) and D:A: D
1992: Nirvana, Megadeth, Pearl Jam, Extreme
1993: Clawfinger, Dizzy Mizz Lizzy, Midnight Oil, Ray Charles, Motorhead, Cypress Hill, Jamiroquay
1998: Black Sabbath, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Slayer, Beastie Boys, Rammstein, Pulp, Misfits, Illdisposed, Los Amigos Invisibles, Julian 6 Damian Marley, Charange Habanera, Malk de Koijn
1999: Metallica, Molotov, Hammerfall, Skunk Anansie, Marcos Valle, Al Green, Guano Apes

I still consider 1998 as the best year musically. There was so much I wanted to see that year. And strangely enough it wasn't sold out that year. In fact, people sold tickets at the entrance for a case of beer.

[This article was edited 3 times, at last 29.03.2013 at 19:08.]
Written on: 29.03.2013 19:00
Tobias

Not really. It would still be a really mainstream lineup with the 'weird' genres tacked on to disguise the lack of diversity.

The more I look at Glasto's 2013 lineup, the more I think their 2011 lineup was so much better, even though, really there's lots and lots of repeats from then: http://247magazine.co.uk/wp-content/themes/247magazine-images/2011/04/Glasto_2011-Lineup-600x848.jpg
(What's the deal with that btw.? Isn't the festival supposed to reinvent themselves through the lineup?)

Lol. Metal does not make a festival diverse ... icon_wink.gif Glastonbury has circus acts, world music, etc. However those acts are not on one of the big stages (they have over 100). Therefore you cannot see them on the poster. Look at the complete line up from 2011: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/14/glastonbury-2011-full-lineup So many different stages with different vibes. If you do not like the line up or do not know many of the acts it does not mean it is not diverse. However I think this discussion is going nowhere.

To go back on topic, I think there is a big chance a lot of nice bands can be announced at the press conference icon_smile.gif.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 29.03.2013 at 19:01.]
Written on: 29.03.2013 21:39
Coldblooded
Tobias wrote:

Lol. Metal does not make a festival diverse ... icon_wink.gif Glastonbury has circus acts, world music, etc. However those acts are not on one of the big stages (they have over 100). Therefore you cannot see them on the poster. Look at the complete line up from 2011: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/14/glastonbury-2011-full-lineup So many different stages with different vibes. If you do not like the line up or do not know many of the acts it does not mean it is not diverse. However I think this discussion is going nowhere.

To go back on topic, I think there is a big chance a lot of nice bands can be announced at the press conference icon_smile.gif.

We're discussing the musical lineup. That's why I ignored their circus programme. Which is probably great in itself, no doubt. As for the world acts, I can count to about ten in a lineup of hundreds and hundreds of bands in the 2011 lineup. The 2013 one is much worse in that respect – I only see half that amount there. My point stands: Glastonbury's focus is squarely on pop, rock, urban and electronic music that works in a radio context. It's diverse alright, mainly because of the sheer number of acts, but everything is very much within a set of creative confines that never would allow an act like for example Nazoranai to be booked. That's Roskilde's force. If you don't appreciate that difference between the festivals, then why bother with Roskilde at all?

A strong Glasto lineup also rubs off on Roskilde though, as they are only one weekend away from Roskilde time-wise. I think we'll see a great many of the bands on Glasto's poster take the leap over the Northsea.

Personally especially rooting for: Matthew E. White, Cat Power, The Horrors, Rodriguez, Calexico, Tyler/Earl, Nas, Evan Dando, Gary Clark Jr. and a couple others.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 29.03.2013 at 21:41.]
Written on: 30.03.2013 11:31
Tobias
Glastonbury have not announced their complete line up yet, only the bigger stages. Thus the small acts are still coming icon_wink.gif. I never said I do not appreciate Roskilde or whatsoever, I never made a judgement call about which line up is better. The only thing I am saying is that Glastonbury is more diverse. icon_smile.gif Does not mean I dislike Roskilde or do not appreciate the niches it fills. I like Roskilde's atmosphere and vibe, which are way more important than music. icon_smile.gif

Password
Remember me
Forgot password?
Ophavsretten tilhører Roskilde Festival.
Informationerne må alene anvendes til eget ikke-kommercielt brug.
Dette site anvender cookies.
Læs mere om brugen...