Roskilde Festivals diskussionforum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

Du skal være logget ind for at skrive indlæg. Log ind eller opret dig som bruger.

Quick guide for the search
X

• Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Slipknot

Written on: 05.12.2012 14:15
weiss
I Like Turtles wrote:

One of my greatest Roskilde-momories will be back! Awesome!! But 4 headliners already? That's a new strategy..

Sigur Ros won't headline!

The headliners of 2013:

- Volbeat (first dansh band on top of the American Active Rock Chart with the singles, Beyond Hell / Above Heaven has sold 700.000 units worldwide and 170.000 units sold in the US, did a 2012 exclusive as headliners at Wacken Open Air in 2012)
- Queens of the stoneage
- Slipknot

What a bill! \m/
Written on: 05.12.2012 14:17
The Rehabilitation of Luis Suarez
weiss wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

weiss wrote:

Muffe wrote:

Slipknot yet again?? why?

that will be their 3th show at Orange in 10 years. Is there such a shortage on metal headliners out there?
Although they do good shows, I think this is a very bad addition to linup.

Yes there are shortage on metalheadliners. Slipknot is one of the very, very FEW metalbands who can gather a crowd worthy to the Orange Stage.. Metalheadliners in 2013 are not hanging on the tree! Not even Machine Head could gather people to the orange stage. They HAVE to play it safe concerning the big metalcrowd on the orange stage. Only Metallica, Rammstein and Maiden can pull out a crowd as big as Slipknot and Volbeat at Roskilde this year.

You forgot Black Sabbath I suppose?

Yea Black Sabbath - sure thing and Tool. Maybe also LoG but who knows.. But there aren't many at all.

Tool would pull a huge crowd. Deftones too in my opinion, and would complement Roskilde Rock Festival 2012 linuep very well icon_wink.gif
Written on: 05.12.2012 14:24
weiss

weiss wrote:

weiss wrote:

Muffe wrote:

Slipknot yet again?? why?

that will be their 3th show at Orange in 10 years. Is there such a shortage on metal headliners out there?
Although they do good shows, I think this is a very bad addition to linup.

Yes there are shortage on metalheadliners. Slipknot is one of the very, very FEW metalbands who can gather a crowd worthy to the Orange Stage.. Metalheadliners in 2013 are not hanging on the tree! Not even Machine Head could gather people to the orange stage. They HAVE to play it safe concerning the big metalcrowd on the orange stage. Only Metallica, Rammstein and Maiden can pull out a crowd as big as Slipknot and Volbeat at Roskilde this year.

You forgot Black Sabbath I suppose?

Yea Black Sabbath - sure thing and Tool. Maybe also LoG but who knows.. But there aren't many at all.

Tool would pull a huge crowd. Deftones too in my opinion, and would complement Roskilde Rock Festival 2012 linuep very well icon_wink.gif

I'm not sure if Deftones could gather the biggest crowd. But an Orange-band of course.. Could be great with Deftones.. 4 hardedged bands on the Orange Stage.. wow guess we have to go back to the 90's again to see that icon_biggrin.gif
Written on: 05.12.2012 15:47
I Like Turtles
weiss wrote:

I Like Turtles wrote:

One of my greatest Roskilde-momories will be back! Awesome!! But 4 headliners already? That's a new strategy..

The headliners of 2013:

- Volbeat (first dansh band on top of the American Active Rock Chart with the singles, Beyond Hell / Above Heaven has sold 700.000 units worldwide and 170.000 units sold in the US, did a 2012 exclusive as headliners at Wacken Open Air in 2012)
- Queens of the stoneage
- Slipknot

What a bill! \m/

The last 3 years have shown us that if we're even discussing if they would headline, then they would headline. Same discussion as with Jack Johnson, Nephew, MIA, PJ Harvey, Mastodon, Mew, The Roots and Bon Iver. Soundvenue would say that Sigur Ros would headline and Volbeat wouldn't, we think that Volbeat would headline and Sigur Ros wouldn't.. This happens every year, and it sucks to be surprised by the lack of big headliners every April, but that's somehow the way it is now..
Written on: 05.12.2012 15:54
weiss
I Like Turtles wrote:

weiss wrote:

I Like Turtles wrote:

The headliners of 2013:

- Queens of the stoneage
- Slipknot

What a bill! \m/

The last 3 years have shown us that if we're even discussing if they would headline, then they would headline. Same discussion as with Jack Johnson, Nephew, MIA, PJ Harvey, Mastodon, Mew, The Roots and Bon Iver. Soundvenue would say that Sigur Ros would headline and Volbeat wouldn't, we think that Volbeat would headline and Sigur Ros wouldn't.. This happens every year, and it sucks to be surprised by the lack of big headliners every April, but that's somehow the way it is now..

How someone in the danish musicpress (read TREO your asshole!) can argue that Volbeat isn't a headliner is a mystery to me.. Not a single danish band have done so well internaional. They are also headlining Rock Werchter this year.
Written on: 05.12.2012 16:03
I Like Turtles
weiss wrote:

I Like Turtles wrote:

weiss wrote:

I Like Turtles wrote:

The headliners of 2013:

- Queens of the stoneage
- Slipknot

What a bill! \m/

How someone in the danish musicpress (read TREO your asshole!) can argue that Volbeat isn't a headliner is a mystery to me.. Not a single danish band have done so well internaional. They are also headlining Rock Werchter this year.

I don't get Treo either, but I don't think I ever have.. But we just haven't had a year with 8-9 solid headliners since 2009 and that's too bad. I hope that Sigur Ros won't headline, but I think they will anyways. Waste of a good spot. Either way the lineup this year is pretty awesome so far
Written on: 05.12.2012 16:12
I really can't see Sigur Ros as a headliner. What have they done of note since their debut?
Written on: 05.12.2012 16:31
Fabio86
SlipKnot?

I'll just throw up my index finger and pinky finger on both hands, put on my best metal-voice and scream "FUCK YEAH!!!!" icon_evil.gif

One of my all-time favorite bands and still on my "Experience live before i die" list...what better place than the Orange Stage. I've been mad about missing out on the 2009 festival and their performance there for years now.

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 05.12.2012 at 16:38.]
Written on: 05.12.2012 17:02
Kuken Andersson
Fabio86 wrote:

SlipKnot?

I'll just throw up my index finger and pinky finger on both hands, put on my best metal-voice and scream "FUCK YEAH!!!!" icon_evil.gif

One of my all-time favorite bands and still on my "Experience live before i die" list...what better place than the Orange Stage. I've been mad about missing out on the 2009 festival and their performance there for years now.

Three and a half years, to be exact.
Written on: 05.12.2012 17:31
JockeyFullOfBourbon
Slipknot is a great addition, they put on one hell of a show! I stood way back at their ´09 gig and still got blown away
Written on: 05.12.2012 19:04
AC/DC
I hope we will get more metal, hard rock and rock to Roskilde but not indie.
Written on: 05.12.2012 21:12
elGrand
AC/DC wrote:

No ofcourse no need for anymore indie now, too many already...
Written on: 06.12.2012 00:29
Rockmus
AC/DC wrote:

shut your whore mouth!!! icon_wink.gif
Written on: 06.12.2012 01:17
weiss
AC/DC wrote:

If there is one man on this forum who always says the right thing it's Mr. AC/DC himself! Well spoken - and I couldn't agree more!
Written on: 06.12.2012 04:37
SoftIndiemus wrote:

AC/DC wrote:

I understand your position looking at your profile name in the quote icon_wink.gif
Written on: 06.12.2012 04:39
SoftIndiemus wrote:

AC/DC wrote:

I understand your position looking at your profile name in the quote icon_wink.gif
Written on: 06.12.2012 09:03
DukeofDK
Slipknot in 2013 is gonna be great, I missed them in 2009 and thought I wouldn't get to have the chance again. I'm not a big fan of them, but I've heard it's something everyone should experience at least once.

And with Volbeat, QotSA and Kvelertak ind the harder section as well, this line-up is turning out to be damn bad-ass!

Perhaps, could this be Roskilde's attempt to get some of the metalheads now going to Copenhell in recent years instead, back to this one?
Written on: 06.12.2012 10:01
I Like Turtles
DukeofDK wrote:

Slipknot in 2013 is gonna be great, I missed them in 2009 and thought I wouldn't get to have the chance again. I'm not a big fan of them, but I've heard it's something everyone should experience at least once.
And with Volbeat, QotSA and Kvelertak ind the harder section as well, this line-up is turning out to be damn bad-ass!

Perhaps, could this be Roskilde's attempt to get some of the metalheads now going to Copenhell in recent years instead, back to this one?

The person who told you that must be a wonderful person! icon_wink.gif
Written on: 06.12.2012 11:16
Frosty
I think it's great.

I've never seen Slipknot live, but i've heard that they are sick on stage.

Can't wait! icon_rolleyes.gif
Written on: 06.12.2012 11:36
DukeofDK
I Like Turtles wrote:

DukeofDK wrote:

Well, he's a bit deluded and thinks highly of himself, but other than that he's a great guy! icon_wink.gif
Written on: 06.12.2012 15:55
I Like Turtles
DukeofDK wrote:

I Like Turtles wrote:

DukeofDK wrote:

Well, he's a bit deluded and thinks highly of himself, but other than that he's a great guy! icon_wink.gif

That's hurtful, man! ..but also kinda sweet
Written on: 06.12.2012 18:44
Coldblooded

I really can't see Sigur Ros as a headliner. What have they done of note since their debut?

Since their debut? Well, '()', which is one of their most acclaimed albums came three years after that, in 2002. Granted, that is ten years ago, but each album since then has been received really well too. They also headlined a bunch of festivals abroad, including Osheaga, Latitude, Iceland Airwaves (obviously icon_wink.gif), Electric Picnic, Outside Lands, Bestival and Harvest. Granted, those are all smaller than Roskilde, but I'd wager that it's about time they headlined there too.
Written on: 06.12.2012 19:51
Coldblooded wrote:

Since their debut? Well, '()', which is one of their most acclaimed albums came three years after that, in 2002. Granted, that is ten years ago, but each album since then has been received really well too. They also headlined a bunch of festivals abroad, including Osheaga, Latitude, Iceland Airwaves (obviously icon_wink.gif), Electric Picnic, Outside Lands, Bestival and Harvest. Granted, those are all smaller than Roskilde, but I'd wager that it's about time they headlined there too.

Critically acclaim does not equal headlining material. Let me rephrase, what have they done, achieved to be headliners at Roskilde?

This festivals can not be compared to RF
Written on: 06.12.2012 21:54
Rockmus

SoftIndiemus wrote:

AC/DC wrote:

hahaha - That name damned me! icon_biggrin.gif
Written on: 07.12.2012 09:44
Coldblooded

Coldblooded wrote:

Critically acclaim does not equal headlining material. Let me rephrase, what have they done, achieved to be headliners at Roskilde?

This festivals can not be compared to RF

Why can't they? Some of them (excluding of course a decidedly upcoming-festival like Airwaves) are only a bit smaller than RF, who every year sells about 75,000 tickets. Even the other headliners they're mingling with at the medium-sized festivals are mostly names that would headline Roskilde too. I don't really buy the argument that a bigger festival require even more/bigger headliners all around the lineup. Some of them may be bigger, yes. I don't see Latitude taking on Bruce Springsteen for instance, but the headliners can't all be that big. If Sigur Rós is to headline RF, I only see it as a modest step up from headlining these festivals below.

Osheaga – 55,000 ticketbuyers (headlining alongside The Black Keys, Snoop Dogg, Justice)
Outside Lands – 65,000 ticketbuyers (headlining alongside Neil Young, Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Foo Fighters, Jack White, Beck, Norah Jones)
Bestival – 55,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside New Order, Stevie Wonder)
Latitude – 35,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside Franz Ferdinand, Interpol)
Electric Picnic – 35,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside The Killers, The Cure)

As for the golden question – "what have they really done to deserve the spot", what parameters will you accept as measuring tool? If record sales speaks to you, then their latest album 'Valtari' debuted at number 7 in the Billboard Top 200, selling 26,000 copies in its first week of release. it has charted on almost every European album chart. Four of their albums are certified Gold in the UK, selling over 100,000 copies. They've sold over 2.5 million albums worldwide total. That was as of 2008, so they might have crossed 3 millions by now.

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 07.12.2012 at 10:17.]

Password
Remember me
Forgot password?
Ophavsretten tilhører Roskilde Festival.
Informationerne må alene anvendes til eget ikke-kommercielt brug.
Dette site anvender cookies.
Læs mere om brugen...