D
    H
    M
    S
til Roskilde Festival 2014 - 29. juni til 6. juli

Roskilde Festivals diskussionforum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

Du skal være logget ind for at skrive indlæg. Log ind eller opret dig som bruger.

Quick guide for the search
X

• Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Slipknot

Written on: 07.12.2012 10:53
Cliché Guevara
Coldblooded wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

Coldblooded wrote:

I really can't see Sigur Ros as a headliner. What have they done of note since their debut?

Since their debut? Well, '()', which is one of their most acclaimed albums came three years after that, in 2002. Granted, that is ten years ago, but each album since then has been received really well too. They also headlined a bunch of festivals abroad, including Osheaga, Latitude, Iceland Airwaves (obviously icon_wink.gif), Electric Picnic, Outside Lands, Bestival and Harvest. Granted, those are all smaller than Roskilde, but I'd wager that it's about time they headlined there too.

Critically acclaim does not equal headlining material. Let me rephrase, what have they done, achieved to be headliners at Roskilde?

This festivals can not be compared to RF

Why can't they? Some of them (excluding of course a decidedly upcoming-festival like Airwaves) are only a bit smaller than RF, who every year sells about 75,000 tickets. Even the other headliners they're mingling with at the medium-sized festivals are mostly names that would headline Roskilde too. I don't really buy the argument that a bigger festival require even more/bigger headliners all around the lineup. Some of them may be bigger, yes. I don't see Latitude taking on Bruce Springsteen for instance, but the headliners can't all be that big. If Sigur Rós is to headline RF, I only see it as a modest step up from headlining these festivals below.

Osheaga – 55,000 ticketbuyers (headlining alongside The Black Keys, Snoop Dogg, Justice)
Outside Lands – 65,000 ticketbuyers (headlining alongside Neil Young, Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Foo Fighters, Jack White, Beck, Norah Jones)
Bestival – 55,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside New Order, Stevie Wonder)
Latitude – 35,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside Franz Ferdinand, Interpol)
Electric Picnic – 35,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside The Killers, The Cure)

As for the golden question – "what have they really done to deserve the spot", what parameters will you accept as measuring tool? If record sales speaks to you, then their latest album 'Valtari' debuted at number 7 in the Billboard Top 200, selling 26,000 copies in its first week of release. it has charted on almost every European album chart. Four of their albums are certified Gold in the UK, selling over 100,000 copies. They've sold over 2.5 million albums worldwide total. That was as of 2008, so they might have crossed 3 millions by now.

They played the main stage at Lollapalooza back in August as well!
Written on: 07.12.2012 11:00
Classic rock dude!
Rockmus wrote:

SoftIndiemus wrote:

AC/DC wrote:

I hope we will get more metal, hard rock and rock to Roskilde but not indie.

shut your whore mouth!!! icon_wink.gif

I understand your position looking at your profile name in the quote icon_wink.gif

hahaha - That name damned me! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_wink.gif I like Rockmus better, but you have to stay the path then! icon_razz.gif
Written on: 07.12.2012 11:01
Classic rock dude!
Coldblooded wrote:

Coldblooded wrote:

I really can't see Sigur Ros as a headliner. What have they done of note since their debut?

Since their debut? Well, '()', which is one of their most acclaimed albums came three years after that, in 2002. Granted, that is ten years ago, but each album since then has been received really well too. They also headlined a bunch of festivals abroad, including Osheaga, Latitude, Iceland Airwaves (obviously icon_wink.gif), Electric Picnic, Outside Lands, Bestival and Harvest. Granted, those are all smaller than Roskilde, but I'd wager that it's about time they headlined there too.

Critically acclaim does not equal headlining material. Let me rephrase, what have they done, achieved to be headliners at Roskilde?

This festivals can not be compared to RF

Why can't they? Some of them (excluding of course a decidedly upcoming-festival like Airwaves) are only a bit smaller than RF, who every year sells about 75,000 tickets. Even the other headliners they're mingling with at the medium-sized festivals are mostly names that would headline Roskilde too. I don't really buy the argument that a bigger festival require even more/bigger headliners all around the lineup. Some of them may be bigger, yes. I don't see Latitude taking on Bruce Springsteen for instance, but the headliners can't all be that big. If Sigur Rós is to headline RF, I only see it as a modest step up from headlining these festivals below.

Osheaga – 55,000 ticketbuyers (headlining alongside The Black Keys, Snoop Dogg, Justice)
Outside Lands – 65,000 ticketbuyers (headlining alongside Neil Young, Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Foo Fighters, Jack White, Beck, Norah Jones)
Bestival – 55,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside New Order, Stevie Wonder)
Latitude – 35,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside Franz Ferdinand, Interpol)
Electric Picnic – 35,000 ticketbuyers (... alongside The Killers, The Cure)

As for the golden question – "what have they really done to deserve the spot", what parameters will you accept as measuring tool? If record sales speaks to you, then their latest album 'Valtari' debuted at number 7 in the Billboard Top 200, selling 26,000 copies in its first week of release. it has charted on almost every European album chart. Four of their albums are certified Gold in the UK, selling over 100,000 copies. They've sold over 2.5 million albums worldwide total. That was as of 2008, so they might have crossed 3 millions by now.

We had this discussion last year also. Those festivals can NOT be compared to RF. It is as simple as that. Just thinking about why that needs to be explained gives me a head ache. Sorry bout that.

The other part of your argument is much more legit, and if they are that popular then I will admit that they may headline RF. (They wont play Orange though, hopefully)

But, in RF terms, they are not a given, nor a strong headliner.

We had bands last year with more than 20 million hits on YT for example who didn't headline. There is more to it.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 07.12.2012 at 11:03.]
Written on: 07.12.2012 12:16
Rockmus

Rockmus wrote:

SoftIndiemus wrote:

AC/DC wrote:

I understand your position looking at your profile name in the quote icon_wink.gif

icon_wink.gif I like Rockmus better, but you have to stay the path then! icon_razz.gif

I would like to say that I like quality Rock music (for example QotSA), it's just that most metal makes my ear puke!

Also Soft Indie Pop very easily gets too soft and makes my ear puke sugar! ...but I'll be damned if I wouldn't hope for some of that 90's indierock a la Modest Mouse, Pavement and Neutral Milk Hotel (bring Jeff Mangum by the way!!) icon_smile.gif
Written on: 07.12.2012 15:04
Classic rock dude!
Rockmus wrote:

Rockmus wrote:

SoftIndiemus wrote:

AC/DC wrote:

I would like to say that I like quality Rock music (for example QotSA), it's just that most metal makes my ear puke!

Also Soft Indie Pop very easily gets too soft and makes my ear puke sugar! ...but I'll be damned if I wouldn't hope for some of that 90's indierock a la Modest Mouse, Pavement and Neutral Milk Hotel (bring Jeff Mangum by the way!!) icon_smile.gif

Fair enough. Missing out on a lot though, mate icon_wink.gif
Written on: 07.12.2012 15:31
Lord Beef Jerky
Keeping in mind the headliners of recent years, Sigyr Ros could be a headliner this year as well. I'll swallow my first words on this matter right now. Roskilde is creating a different profile these years, and with them headlining, it could be a pointer towards what they're trying to achieve.

Personally I don't think they belong or deserve a headlining slot. But my parameters on headlining slots are somewhat identical to Top Secret Identity's (how about a new name soon again?) I measure popularity in sales of tickets and albums when considering who might headline or not, as it seems like the most logical thing to do, and in this matter Sigur Ros is past their prime, and they haven't headlined Roskilde back then. On the other hand, Roskilde is attracting more and more of the crowd that would go see a Sigur Ros show, and that probably should be considered as well. I'm guessing they'll headline even though I disagree that they should. Let's leave it at that, and see what happens.
Written on: 07.12.2012 16:47
Classic rock dude!
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Keeping in mind the headliners of recent years, Sigyr Ros could be a headliner this year as well. I'll swallow my first words on this matter right now. Roskilde is creating a different profile these years, and with them headlining, it could be a pointer towards what they're trying to achieve.

Personally I don't think they belong or deserve a headlining slot. But my parameters on headlining slots are somewhat identical to Top Secret Identity's (how about a new name soon again?) I measure popularity in sales of tickets and albums when considering who might headline or not, as it seems like the most logical thing to do, and in this matter Sigur Ros is past their prime, and they haven't headlined Roskilde back then. On the other hand, Roskilde is attracting more and more of the crowd that would go see a Sigur Ros show, and that probably should be considered as well. I'm guessing they'll headline even though I disagree that they should. Let's leave it at that, and see what happens.

what ya think?
Written on: 07.12.2012 17:05
AC/DC
weiss wrote:

AC/DC wrote:

If there is one man on this forum who always says the right thing it's Mr. AC/DC himself! Well spoken - and I couldn't agree more!

Thanks
Written on: 07.12.2012 19:19
Lord Beef Jerky
Do I need a new profile name? wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

what ya think?

I think "yes"!
Written on: 07.12.2012 21:16
Classic rock dude!
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

Do I need a new profile name? wrote:

Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

what ya think?

I think "yes"!

OK,

let me think. icon_cool.gif
Written on: 26.12.2012 04:08
Gøgler
IMO we could leave the lineup as it currenly is and it would still kick the asses of the last three years. For all I care the rest of the poster can consist of "Justin Bieber", "Justin Bieber" and some more "Justin Bieber". I'm more than satisfied already icon_smile.gif
The bands responsible for my joy are Slipknot and Volbeat. Well, and Queens of the Stone Age & Kvelertak aren't bad, either.
Written on: 27.12.2012 10:48
Pez
You guys have a fantastic line-up, I might even fly in just for Slipknot. icon_smile.gif Seen them once on a festival and it was the best metal-gig I ever attended, even though back then I didn't know a single song.
Written on: 13.02.2013 21:04
JohnnyBoy
Slipknot is a brilliant choise. They are the reason for me to attend Roskilde Festival that one day!
Written on: 13.02.2013 21:10
Aleg-One
Pez wrote:

You guys have a fantastic line-up, I might even fly in just for Slipknot. icon_smile.gif Seen them once on a festival and it was the best metal-gig I ever attended, even though back then I didn't know a single song.

Come for Slipknot - stay for Kvelertak, Kreator, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Anaal Nathrakh, Volbeat and Overthrow!
Written on: 14.02.2013 22:09
JohnnyBoy
When do RF usualy announce what day the bands will play and on which stage ?? You know, the full program.
.... and when was the last time RF was sold out?

Thanks in advance.
Written on: 14.02.2013 22:20
Martin Horn Pedersen
Official RF person
JohnnyBoy wrote:

When do RF usualy announce what day the bands will play and on which stage ?? You know, the full program.
.... and when was the last time RF was sold out?

Thanks in advance.

A few weekeds before the festival and Roskilde is sold out most years
Written on: 14.02.2013 23:42
Christian Forslund
According to another thread Slipknot will play on thursday, and they will definately play orange, since they are a headliner and have played orange twice before.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 14.02.2013 at 23:43.]

Password
Remember me
Forgot password?
Ophavsretten tilhører Roskilde Festival.
Informationerne må alene anvendes til eget ikke-kommercielt brug.
Dette site anvender cookies.
Læs mere om brugen...