D
    H
    M
    S
til Roskilde Festival 2015 - 27. juni til 4. juli

Roskilde Festivals diskussionforum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

Du skal være logget ind for at skrive indlæg. Log ind eller opret dig som bruger.

Quick guide for the search
X

• Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

2011 (non music) evalutation thread.

Poll
Question:
Rate your overall 2011 festival experience.

0 of 50 replies (0%)

0 of 50 replies (0%)

0 of 50 replies (0%)

3 of 50 replies (6%)

13 of 50 replies (26%)

25 of 50 replies (50%)

9 of 50 replies (18%)

Written on: 07.07.2011 14:33
B.
We already have music and lineup thread in the other forum folder. I thought it would be nice to have a thread about the "more than music" / "share the feeling" part.

How did you rate this year? How was your overall experience in terms of queueing, camping, partying, facilities, camp neighbours, weather etc?

I think this year was the best organised festival so far. The new queueing/ entrance reservation system seemed to work well (at least at entrance 4). We where there around 11am on Saturday and where able to walk up to about 5m from the main gates. Everyone remained calm and friendly throughout and only until about 17:45 it became too crowed to remain sitting down so we had to stand for about half an hour until we passed through with out temporary wristbands (I still not get the whole idea behind the temporary wristband but I think it worked out great).

It seems the camping areas filled up really quick again this year. We camped at J which never complete filled up but I don't think you where able to setup a large camp there any more halfway through the week (there remained enough single tent spots however).
I don't think it was a problem this year (like it was in 2009) but if more and more guests chose to arrive from the start (and when the gravel company start up digging at C area), I think camp space is going to be a problem in the future.

I also liked the new water 'stations' that were placed at J and other Agoras. I never had to queue for water at all. Also the water flush toilets at the festival area where a great improvement. If only we could have those at the camping areas as well. Why not install septic tanks in areas where there is no sewer? You seem to have been doing something like that already for the waste water from the water points (at least in J).

The food and drinks where also great again this year, especially at the festival area. I don't think I ever needed to queue for more than a few minutes anywhere, even on Sunday which seemed far more quiet than previous years.

Of cause since we camped at J our experience will have been different than most of the other festival guests. We did notice the increase in mobile sound systems (as discussed elsewhere) and coming from J it is a mystery why most people in the other areas insist in make such an incredible mess around them.

Overall it was a very good year again, 5/6.
Written on: 07.07.2011 23:14
MasterMaster
Like you said, the entrance system worked very well! It was all very calm and relaxed, and everybody in the queues got through reasonably fast. So finally that problem seems to be solved.

My overall festival experience was slightly ruined by one half of our camp (our camp was sort of divided into two different friend-groups). They were very annoying and hard to live with. This wasnt a big problem once the music started, and I could just head off with the ones I actually did likeicon_razz.gif Weather-wize i though it was perfect. The rain we had just helped cool me down, and it actualy turned out to be shitloads of fun with the thunder/lightning storm on saturday! One of my best festival experiences creating a dancing-batte outside Odeon in the mud before heading over to The Strokes! Food and drink was very good as always, and as B. said, the queues didnt seem too badicon_smile.gif

I think I`ll give the overall experience 5 stars. The festival was pretty much perfect, but only gets 5 because of annoying and tiresome campmates.

PS.
And the zip-wire was a very nice touch, and proved to be a nice challenge for me. I have a quite bad fear of heights, but i forced myself to go up with my sister and her boyfriend, and it ended up being something I was very pleased to have done. However I thought it was very sad to hear about the accident sunday night...

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 07.07.2011 at 23:14.]
Written on: 09.07.2011 17:14
Christian Kristensen
I would like to evaluate this years festival in two parts (Warm-Up and Festival Days).

Warm-Up days
I too enjoyed the entrance system, and whoever i talked to were pretty happy with how it happent, plus we got our usual place with a nice amount of room.
The food and drinking options were as last year and pretty enjoyable.
Toilet and Washing availability were also above standards.

We had some weird problems with some of the "Orange Heroes" making some odd requests, we for once had never heard of the "Only one Pavilon per camp" rule in the last 4 years, and they gave up pretty fast when me pointed out the huge tents around, and the fact that you can restrict big camps with rules like that, so for a day we split up our camp in two to make them happy.
Otherwise they were nice and helpful.

Festival Days
This is were the shit hit the fan for me, this year was properly the worst for me.
But i will start out with the good before the bad.

It was extremely easy to get food, there were no lines longer than 10mins for me, even after a big concert i could walk into my favorite place and get food / drinks within 5mins. (Thumps up here)
The Toilet options seemed a tad better than last year, well from the point of view of a man the girls i talked too seemed pretty happy, and the urinals for me were often "Not that full".

Now to the bad stuff.
When the Festival days opened I'm pretty sure all communicating concerning the rules and the Orange Heroes died, half of the guards to the festival ground had their own special rules, so when we went in and a guard didn't want to let us enter with a jug of mixed liqueur (The jug being from their own beer booth) one would say no, others would say yes, so when we got a no we just went from one entrance to another.

The tents were overcrowded beyond HELL.
Roskilde is expanding but the scenes aren't, this means that Arena and Cosmopol where at their braking point at every concert almost.
Chase & Status / Magnetic man were two were good examples.
Now being stuck on the outer rim isn't my complaint, it was the amount of people "CONSTANTLY" going in and out, i never really got more than 30secs of enjoyment before the next person pushed me out of the way to escape.
This is something I've never really noticed before, but i did this year.

Now my last complaint, and the one i still growl about.
The deadmau5 concert, well most people who know deadmau5 and have seen his concerts know that people bring heads and ears to his shows.
While standing in the pit queue "Orange Heroes" walked around inspecting peoples gear, one was told to remove his head from a stick (Fair Enough) my Red ears got no reaction from him.
This was until i went in and a guard said "Those are to big", i said "Really noone told me that?", then he said "Either you leave them here and pick them up afterwards or you wont see the concert" now i didn't like his choice of words, so i left them with him.
Well guess what ofcause they were gone after, he was no where to be seen and so was my ears.

Now they weren't pretty, not that valuable but they were mine and i wanted to reuse the EL Wire... this pissed me off greatly.

Edit: Oh and not to point this out in a bitter way, but the Gaffa head still made it through the checkpoint... but i guess he just weren't looking at that point -.-.

Sorry for the long text, but this year gets a very small 4.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 09.07.2011 at 17:15.]
Written on: 09.07.2011 20:54
MasterMaster
@Christian Kristensen
I know that a lot of people probably had ears like that, but i think maybe i got yours! On the way out of the pit i picked some random red mouse ears up from the ground by the pit entrance! Lost them later that night though
Written on: 09.07.2011 22:12
Christian Kristensen
@MasterMaster
Oh would you look at that...
Hope you enjoyed them, and hoped they fit (Other people really didn't have the width my head has) icon_smile.gif

At least they didn't just get thrown out.

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 09.07.2011 at 22:13.]
Written on: 10.07.2011 00:22
MasterMaster
Christian Kristensen wrote:

@MasterMaster
Oh would you look at that...
Hope you enjoyed them, and hoped they fit (Other people really didn't have the width my head has) icon_smile.gif

At least they didn't just get thrown out.

Haha, now that you mention it they were pretty big! Had to hold them in place the whole timeicon_wink.gif
Written on: 11.07.2011 13:56
Alfabet jensen
Oh, but isn't the above just a perfect example of this years Roskilde feel-good? That's sweet, you guys icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway - topic-way - I agree on most stuff said in this thread, positve stuff said, anyhow, and personally I think this was both the best and (actually) the worst festival I have yet experienced.

I voted 4 of 6 because even if this was overall the best festival for me and mine, EVER-like, I have heard of several legendary Roskilde´s, such numbers in fact, that the festival easily can be better still (at least so it seems from the sheer number of legendaries that people keep telling me about icon_wink.gif. This year's being my number 9, with '11 coming after a wide gap since '07. My first was in '99 (scared little bugger, then) so I've experieence my share of festivals. Just not the legendary ones, appearantly. But '11, in my experience, could be legendary - what with magnificent portishead end the whole dancig-thing that caught me at ca. 11 sunday noon, and kept me dancing straight on right until 04 - 05 monday, when I tapped at the bridge crossing acces to "low Camp" with something tapable. Such a hugh experience, and I was crippled from sore feet and underlegs the whole of monday, which made my travelling-time ca. 90 km via train, bus and walk, last somthing like 5 hours (the last half-a-kilometer's walk along dirtroads accounting for one and a half hour, in it self - torture, that was. Anyway - a Roskilde to remember, and thank you all, high and dry, for creating this great atsmosphere for the whole thing to rocket off in.

The 'worst'-part of the mixed experience comes from an incident during sunday evening and night at Arena. I have strong reason to believe that there, among the fetival-people en masse, are camps consisting of a more or less random collection of guys, living in the camping-site. some have ordinary wristbands, some have voulonteer's wristbands. They are there as ordinary festival-goers and/or helpers, and enjoy the partying on equal foot with everybody else - the just have an added - call it a fstival-activity - incentative of going, which is to run a kind of semi-organized thieving among fellow festival-goers.

A common method, I have heard about - this is therefore hearsay - is that 'they' spot and keep track of 'weak' festival-goers, these being people who are by them selves and are not living in big camps or these are people who have gone kaplooie from stimulus-intake/overintake. First kind have their tents rummaged through and stuff stolen while away from it. The second kind gets assailed under cover of being put safely to bed by friendly, concerned bypassers. This is only hearsay, but I personally give it credit due to my experiences, namely sunday evening and to lesser degree during at least saturday.

I spend a lot of time at the festival grounds (Iron Maiden-land, some chose to call it icon_biggrin.gif) and carried with me during all of my stays there, a bag with - in this respect - worthless junk, and a digital-kamera of some value. I got tagged, I'm 75%-80% sure. Suddenly I kept seeing the same five or six guys in the crowd, whereever I went on the festival. I didn't really make any of it at the time, it is only later when reflecting over the sunday experience, that it pops up as having any import. But this I did, noticed the same people constanly in my vicinity during most of saturday. I am of the first kind of potential 'victims' I came to this years Roskilde alone, set up a ninja-camp with some very friendly fynbos from Oure (happy days and restfull nights, guys icon_smile.gif if you read this) - I was the sligthtly bummy guy who suddently appeared to your left and then the bloody f-word staid there ;-D), so I assume I have then been tracked to my tent also during saturday afternoon/night whenever. Noone in the 'my' camp experienced any thievery, at least not to my knowldge, and that speaks against my here-presented theory/accussation/warning, but then, no one had any real valuable stuff, they kept lying around in the open.

Sunday, however, was a whole different kettle of fish. Twice, while I was dancing around like something I wouldn't believe if just told about it, 'people' tried to sneak my bag-and-camera (I had it placed in a heap, interlocked, on the ground before me, so I could keep an eye on it in the milling of dancing legs and feet, while not being hindered in my own dancing. Twice, the heap was tried snatched awy from under me. Both times, it was a pair of flourescent-cap wearing guys (allthough a different pair of them second time round) who, standing in front of me and dancing, snuck each a leg out behind them and kind of grapped my bag between their combined feet. They would then drag the bag in between them, pick it up and go away. Both times I managed to get hold of my bag - they WERE kind of obvious when first I had an inkling of what was going on - and tagged the guys right back by touching and making an eyecontact with each. After second time, I was left alone and I thourght 'they' had given up on me, but then after some time with more next-to-out-of-control dancing, I was simply cornered - and no subtlety about it. Four guys, two of whom had earlier tried to sneak my bag, was succesfull af kind of nutching towards a side of the Arena-arena, and almost had me encircled tightly between them before I figured out what was going on. I dodged in a kind of white, flurry panic - but I managed to get away from this very, very intimidating and frightfull situation I had suddetly - literally out of the blue - found myself in. I have some long hair, I could tie up in a curl, and I could don a sweatshirt to 'change' appearance in the crowd. But I didn't get harrassed anymore during the festivities of that night - and even managed to shake the whole thing as another "roskilde-happening" at which you can't really do anything but try and get out of the way of it - like heavy rain, or people armed with 'piss-pistols' (I haven't experienced that last one, but I dread it's happening, and it will happen at some time - it's a statistic)

Anyway - both my best and my worst festival from among 8 (and a one-day'er back in '07) possible, with the 'best' being by far the biggest influence on the over-all.

Oh, yeah - while I'm at it - girls? Grrls, gitz, women, whatever name fits the particular rose? Couldn't you 'guys' work at receiving compliments? please? A lot of you crazy creatures accepts compliments with nots and smiles and sometimes little 'thank-you' shows like pulling up on the short-linning or such wonderful stuff - just the way it is supposed to be received, and in the spirit it was send. The rest of you - and this is actually quite a bunch, enough that it gets noted, as the saying goes - when a guy says something that, you know inside of you, is meant to be just a sweetened acknowledgement of your existence - just that - and even if it so does amount to some drunken grunt that only vaguely resembles a 'nice ass, lass"-something, and typical vulgar in nature - it doesn't mean that he is just about to pop the weasel at you. You can turn you head and smile - very briefly is all that is actully required - without somehow signalling that you just happen to be the horniest woman on the planet right that instant (and/or because of the compliment) If you do this you'll make a happy and friendly-minded fellow out of the compliment-giver who will the continue to radiate this happy and friendly-minded vibe to other people he meets along his way. And you too, girl. You too will get to shine and both be and feel more beatyfull if you accept compliments, even if you don't believe them to be true. When a compliment is not returned by at least a 'thank you'-gesture; a smile, simply, but maybe is even openly frowned upon, and at the giver - it just sucks the energy right out of the whole experience, an almost physical painfull thing. But thanks for adding that aspect to the roskilde-experience, longlegged mysteries and fascinations, sometimes clad in dresses, that you are.

Some pile of two cent's worth of thourghts. But I HAVE been thinking, see? icon_wink.gif

Thanks again, all. I'm making it a priority of going, as opposed to formerly, when I went "when I could afford it". So I guess and hope to see yo all again next year. cheers!
Written on: 12.07.2011 20:03
Eef
Hmm alfabet, i do beleive you can be harrassed and everything. but the same people following you all the time.. sounds like a bad trip to me icon_wink.gif Then again everything is possible at a festival.

I thought the waiting system was allright,but it was very easy for people to get in on a saturday.. just show your ticket.. walk back again.. give it to a friend who gets in with your ticket (cozz its not scanned) and you both have a wristband and are able to get in free untill tuesday. I hope they change the system every year so people won't be able to drag around the camping area for free. Nevertheless.. it was quite a good sytem no people pushed the fence and I guess that was what it was all about.

I loved staying at J..because it was silent and clean and I could party everywhere!! (exept perhaps in J itsself icon_wink.gif)

Though i wonder how well the orange people were looking for thiefs. BTW again an easy system to fraud with. No one knows all the festival wristbands..so its easy to tamper with.

About the new area... Gloria.. it was way to small and too crowded.. it was pretty hot if you were in front, not able to get any fresh air. And the security were not really paying attention to people that seemed to be overheated. I still do not get it why the astoria is gone!!! It was such a great stage!!! Now all what is left is a barn which is boring!

I really enjoyed the area around cosmopol.. they really payed attention to make it more attractive to everyone!! great job!

I wish i could say the same about the rest of the festival area.. but somehow it got to me that it wasn't as beautiful as it was before.

Wellllllllllll I had a great time anyway.. and I guess I will come up with a lot more, but this is the first time I am able to write anything bad about Roskilde after a whole week! icon_smile.gif

IT was a amazing AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG festival!!

I have to say
The toilets were great as well!

Written on: 12.07.2011 22:31
McFearless
Basicly this Roskilde was really great.

The queues for alcohol, food, the bank ect. were all to bear with. The only big queue I stumbeled upon, was at the recharge station - but I came in the rush hour so I only have myself to blame.

One thing that was really bad was the toilets in the middle of P. Not that the toilets wasn't okay or clean or anything, but the first 3-4 days they didn't get emptyed. The guards just put strips on the doors so they couldn't open. Next year we would like to see the toilets being emptyed.

All in all, a very good year. See you in 2012.
Written on: 15.07.2011 21:48
The Rehabilitation of Luis Suarez
Most of it was a lot better than last time I went. (2007)

Less standing in line. Quiet and clean. Better toilets. Those kind of things.

A few things that was really annoying, simply because it's so stupid and badly organized (if at all) that it becomes a frustration.

1. The last 8 years or so the festival have advertised that they will exchange cooler "elements" for free. And like the last 8 years or so they haven't figured out that they actually need enough elements so that ones handed in can get really cold before being handed out again. We not once got cold cooling elements. (what the fuck is the name of those things?)

If they want to make this work next year they can give me a call. It really is very simple.

2. We all know that girls spend more time in the showers. Leading to longer line for the ladies to get a shower. Most of us would either
- Tell the ladies to fix their make up outside (hang up mirrors)
- Tell them to hurry up (10 mins max or something)
- Make sure that there was more showers for the girls

The festivals solution: Deny the men a shower until 12 pm, so that the girls can use all the facilities for themselves. Equal rights and all my ass banghead.gif

The guys gets punished for the ladies inabilities to get their business done quickly. Ridiculous.

3. Since Tuesday morning, the "kiosk" at J was always out of breakfast at around 9 in the morning. Normal people would see how much is needed and then make sure that the next day you will have enough stock. Nope, not even on Sunday (the very last day had they got this fixed)

And don't get me started about the "coffee"- system they had..... icon_rolleyes.gif

These things, however, where the only things holding me back from giving a 6 this year. These things are totally unnecessary and only gives the impression of bad management.
Written on: 17.07.2011 12:52
B.
Mr Wu wrote:

2. We all know that girls spend more time in the showers. Leading to longer line for the ladies to get a shower. Most of us would either

The festivals solution: Deny the men a shower until 12 pm, so that the girls can use all the facilities for themselves. Equal rights and all my ass banghead.gif

The guys gets punished for the ladies inabilities to get their business done quickly. Ridiculous.

Really? That's just insane! I didn't use the showers this year as I took a swim in the lake every morning to 'refresh' myself, but in the previous year I have used the showers a lot to help me get over my hangovers.

To be denied a shower before 12pm is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I hope this was just a one day experiment or something like that and wasn't, and isn't going to be, common practice banghead.gif

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 17.07.2011 at 12:55.]
Written on: 19.07.2011 04:29
Muffe
I did not show up before Monday evening year, so I did not experience the new queueing system, but my friends who were there to put up my tent, told me it worked smooth. had another group of friends that had huge problems with it. they had booked entrance 5 I think, but when they arrived the tickets dident have a spesific entrance booked. this took hours to sort out, and while the camping area opened they were still on the hold sorting this out. they ended up at P camp!!

One thing that have been bugging me for the last couple of years is the little folded piece of paper inside the festival guide book. why did they split them up? for me its just one more thing to take care of and I always lose it. get the band program back into the festival guide book!!

Toilets this year were good, it was plenty of them, and the "getting the paper before you go in" system is still working fine. I never had to wait in line for toilets at the camping area.
I also have some friends at the bus camp, and the toilets down there is amazing. top tip from me!!

I didnt understand why the road going north of the gravel-pit, along the festival area was closed. it was open last year, but closed this year. but the road was just the same as last year. wasent it? I have friends at caravan camp and bus camp. thats a long walk. and even longer having to go all the way around the tuborg tower. was it because the line from the tuborg tower went over it maby? anyway, I ended up taking taxi from entrance east to entrance west alot. cost about 120 dkk.

The service center(west) was pretty good this year. I never stood more then 2 minutes tops in line for food or beer. there was long lines for food at some places, but I dident really care what I eat, so I just picked the one with the shortest line at any given time. all the food at service center west is equal crap anyway. I think the quality of the food has dropped the last couple of years. on the service center, not on the festival area.

when it comes to the festival area this year, it is as it use to be. a lot better food. cant understand why some of the stands up there cant also be at the service center. would be good with a little more to choose from on the service center.
Written on: 19.07.2011 07:57
Saturnus
Muffe wrote:
I didnt understand why the road going north of the gravel-pit, along the festival area was closed. it was open last year, but closed this year. but the road was just the same as last year. wasent it? I have friends at caravan camp and bus camp. thats a long walk. and even longer having to go all the way around the tuborg tower. was it because the line from the tuborg tower went over it maby? anyway, I ended up taking taxi from entrance east to entrance west alot. cost about 120 dkk.

The road going along the festival fence was closed last year as well. It was also called the "fence jumpers road" so that's why it was closed. This year there also was the glide rail so it has to be closed.

There was shuttle buses going between East and West entrance every half hour, why didn't you just take one of those?
Written on: 19.07.2011 17:21
Muffe
So its two years since it was open? I remember going there the why it is now. or so I think at least.
And I didnt take the buses because I was drunk, and dident know!! so shame on me there.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 19.07.2011 at 17:22.]
Written on: 20.07.2011 02:58
Kong Gulerod
Saturnus wrote:

The road going along the festival fence was closed last year as well.

Not that it matters - But it is not entirely true.

The road was open during the warm-up days in 2010, but closed early thursday when the festival site opened and remained closed during the music-days.
Written on: 20.07.2011 10:26
The Rehabilitation of Luis Suarez
B. wrote:

Mr Wu wrote:

Really? That's just insane! I didn't use the showers this year as I took a swim in the lake every morning to 'refresh' myself, but in the previous year I have used the showers a lot to help me get over my hangovers.

To be denied a shower before 12pm is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I hope this was just a one day experiment or something like that and wasn't, and isn't going to be, common practice banghead.gif

I don't know how often it happened and if everywhere. But it happened to us, and it was really, really annoying.

The older guy at the showers just told us when we came.

"The shower is closed until 12 for men"

Us

"Why???"

He looked at us like we were stupid

"The girls needs showers too"

Was his arrogant reply. Ridiculous!

I know that I often come across as very negatively critical here, but all in all I was very pleased how things were this year. But the things mentioned above is so stupid and unnecessary they need to fix it. Some of these things have been going on for years and it's still not fixed. Like the cooler element thingy. Makes me wonder if they have a system for analyzing what went well and what didn't work after a festival. The cooler thing has been a problem the last 5-6 years at least and they seem just as surprised every year that they are short.

Stupid, just stupid icon_wink.gif
Written on: 23.07.2011 12:30
Alfabet jensen
@Eef - Yar, mon. Probably so icon_eek.gif I DID get kind of high on all that energetic music and atsmospheres I just kept stumbling upon.

Great festival for a music-turist. In hindsight, with all the critisism of this year's line-up: For me personally, most of that came from not knowing the bands beforehand. The bands I heard really underlined the fact that the music I know and like, is really no more than a single lode of gold within a giant massive of a moutain-range. I should really stop complaining and get out my shovel-something, is my conclusion.

Thankfully, I've learned to take take an hour of each Roskildeday to sit and kind of plan that days music-events, what I'd like to see and at what time they're playing - and then take notes! It's kind of like a treasure map when later I pop into music-stores to shuffle through their (sadly declining) stock of CD-albums.
Written on: 15.09.2011 00:40
Magnus .
I think Roskilde 2011 was great. This was my second year and it only got better because of more experience and a new better camp. The waiting system worked fine, last year I got the worst spot in my camp because i was at the store and when i got back people were already settling in... I only wish i saw more shows but the last two days i was too fucked up... Overall i give 2011 a full score because i have the time of my life during those 8 days!

See ya all in 2012!

Password
Remember me
Forgot password?
Ophavsretten tilhører Roskilde Festival.
Informationerne må alene anvendes til eget ikke-kommercielt brug.
Dette site anvender cookies.
Læs mere om brugen...