D
    H
    M
    S
til Roskilde Festival 2014 - 29. juni til 6. juli

Roskilde Festivals diskussionforum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

Du skal være logget ind for at skrive indlæg. Log ind eller opret dig som bruger.

Quick guide for the search
X


  • Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

The theft and robbery @ RF thread


Author Message
Written on: 18.07.2012 12:23
Kong Gulerod
Posts: 462
Christiiine wrote:

When I woke up my phone was gone. I don't see why I have to buy another phone, I wanna bring my own while at roskilde, since I've never lost my phone before, even when I'm shitfaced drunk.


You should be able to bring your phone. My point was that I don't like to bring smart phones/iPhones at Roskilde not because I am afraid of loosing them but because they need almost daily recharge. That annoys the shit out of me.

I bought a phone for 250DKK in Netto and it holds power for 6 days. And then I also bring an old back-up phone. I got all my (important) contacts on my sim-card and transfer them between phones by simply installing my SIM card.
Written on: 19.07.2012 01:34
TMaagaard
Posts: 312
We had an old iPod nano and an old iPod touch stolen, but we didn't really care for them. Then we had a cheap boomblaster stolen as well but we had two, so it wasn't a problem.
The worst thing: A guy from our camp had his wallet and phone stolen from his tent while he was sleeping in it. Needless to say, it annoyed him to no end.
Written on: 19.07.2012 13:05
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
TMaagaard wrote:

We had an old iPod nano and an old iPod touch stolen, but we didn't really care for them. Then we had a cheap boomblaster stolen as well but we had two, so it wasn't a problem.
The worst thing: A guy from our camp had his wallet and phone stolen from his tent while he was sleeping in it. Needless to say, it annoyed him to no end.


For many people this is a lot more than annoying- it's downright scary.

What if you wake up and catch the perpetrator off guard. What if he has a knife in his hand from cutting through your tent. What if you are a single girl and risk getting raped.

This is a very, very serious issue. And it will never go away before Roskilde takes a hard line on the problem. At a minimum security guards should be professionals with the experience to deal with situations like these.

I wish them all a good beating, the low life thieves, but that is only my own opinion and not realistic. Jailing during the festival should be a minimum. And a huge fine.
Written on: 19.07.2012 13:42
Christian Forslund
Posts: 334
From this thread the problem with theft sounds very serious, and something RF should do something about.

First RF will not get professional gaurds at the campsite, since it will cost millions extra and therefore too expensive, plus it will work against the volunteer-thinking the RF uses.

But RF should make a compaign against theft (and other unacceptable behaviour), where they on one hand point out that stealing chairs, beers and other stuff is not just one part of having fun but simply theft and on the other hand warn against the serious theft which is mentioned in this thread. Advises like don't leave expensive things in your tent, know your neighbours (so they know, who should not be in your tent), it's ok to shout or call the tentguards if you see someone, who you don't belong there (like the bodybuilders mentioned in another post), and on the other hand don't go into strangers tents without a good reason, because you could well be seen as a thief. There is probably other good advises.

Besides that the tentguards should be told how to handle such situations and what to look for (I know they only get something like three hours of training before guard duty, but there need to be room for this).
Also if a thief is caught, he should not just have his wristband cut but be handed over to the police.

But who are the thiefs nowadays: is it the gypsy-bottlecollectors, young punks specializing in thefts or is it the general punks, who don't think any rules apply at RF.
Written on: 19.07.2012 14:08
Martin Horn Pedersen
Official RF person
Posts: 1194
I agree whit Forslund. Pro guards don’t fit the profile at Roskilde and it would be weird and not the free Roskilde I love (I have had my wallet stolen when sleeping in my tent, and yes it sux, but still)

What I would like to see is the police chancing they’re focus. The last 2 years the have spend a lot of time putting civil cops out to busted ppl smoking weed, not selling or stuff like that. And yes smoking weed is not legal, but it don’t harm others, I would like them to use there civil cops to keep an eye on this problem instead(don’t want make police)
Written on: 19.07.2012 14:25
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
If Roskilde can't guarantee the guests safety (within reason), then the festival should stop existing. It's that simple, really!

The volunteers are not in any way equipped to deal with this problem, and the thieves knows this all too well.

If it means a few millions less for charity, then that is the bitter pill the festival needs to swallow for not dealing with this issue properly a long time ago and for the ever declining morale in society.

And it's not the police's job to patrol a private happening that Roskilde Festival organizes.
Written on: 19.07.2012 15:59
Saturnus
Posts: 3047
Top Secret Identity wrote:
And it's not the police's job to patrol a private happening that Roskilde Festival organizes.


You're wrong. It's not only their job. It's their duty.
Written on: 19.07.2012 17:33
Christian Pawlowski
Posts: 30
Christian Forslund wrote:

From this thread the problem with theft sounds very serious, and something RF should do something about.

First RF will not get professional gaurds at the campsite, since it will cost millions extra and therefore too expensive, plus it will work against the volunteer-thinking the RF uses.

But RF should make a compaign against theft (and other unacceptable behaviour), where they on one hand point out that stealing chairs, beers and other stuff is not just one part of having fun but simply theft and on the other hand warn against the serious theft which is mentioned in this thread. Advises like don't leave expensive things in your tent, know your neighbours (so they know, who should not be in your tent), it's ok to shout or call the tentguards if you see someone, who you don't belong there (like the bodybuilders mentioned in another post), and on the other hand don't go into strangers tents without a good reason, because you could well be seen as a thief. There is probably other good advises.

Besides that the tentguards should be told how to handle such situations and what to look for (I know they only get something like three hours of training before guard duty, but there need to be room for this).
Also if a thief is caught, he should not just have his wristband cut but be handed over to the police.

But who are the thiefs nowadays: is it the gypsy-bottlecollectors, young punks specializing in thefts or is it the general punks, who don't think any rules apply at RF.


When i talked with a policeman at the police station in Roskilde, after i got my phone stolen, he told me that they had emptied a "gypsy tent" the day before, where they found 10 iphones.
Written on: 20.07.2012 09:37
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Saturnus wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:
And it's not the police's job to patrol a private happening that Roskilde Festival organizes.


You're wrong. It's not only their job. It's their duty.


Please show me where this is stated. RF is after all a private enterprise. It's the same as if a nightclub felt the need for police at the door; they'd have to pay for that service.

The police at Roskilde is to do their normal job, investigate etc; not patrolling a huge camping area
Written on: 20.07.2012 09:39
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Christian Pawlowski wrote:

Christian Forslund wrote:

From this thread the problem with theft sounds very serious, and something RF should do something about.

First RF will not get professional gaurds at the campsite, since it will cost millions extra and therefore too expensive, plus it will work against the volunteer-thinking the RF uses.

But RF should make a compaign against theft (and other unacceptable behaviour), where they on one hand point out that stealing chairs, beers and other stuff is not just one part of having fun but simply theft and on the other hand warn against the serious theft which is mentioned in this thread. Advises like don't leave expensive things in your tent, know your neighbours (so they know, who should not be in your tent), it's ok to shout or call the tentguards if you see someone, who you don't belong there (like the bodybuilders mentioned in another post), and on the other hand don't go into strangers tents without a good reason, because you could well be seen as a thief. There is probably other good advises.

Besides that the tentguards should be told how to handle such situations and what to look for (I know they only get something like three hours of training before guard duty, but there need to be room for this).
Also if a thief is caught, he should not just have his wristband cut but be handed over to the police.

But who are the thiefs nowadays: is it the gypsy-bottlecollectors, young punks specializing in thefts or is it the general punks, who don't think any rules apply at RF.


When i talked with a policeman at the police station in Roskilde, after i got my phone stolen, he told me that they had emptied a "gypsy tent" the day before, where they found 10 iphones.


There's no secret that "gypsies" are some of the culprits, and since most of them are not there for the festival itself it's fair to speculate that many is there for whatever they can't get financially.
Written on: 20.07.2012 16:58
Saturnus
Posts: 3047
Top Secret Identity wrote:

Saturnus wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:
And it's not the police's job to patrol a private happening that Roskilde Festival organizes.


You're wrong. It's not only their job. It's their duty.


Please show me where this is stated. RF is after all a private enterprise. It's the same as if a nightclub felt the need for police at the door; they'd have to pay for that service.

The police at Roskilde is to do their normal job, investigate etc; not patrolling a huge camping area


Politiloven

§ 1 Politiet skal virke for tryghed, sikkerhed, fred og orden i samfundet. Politiet skal fremme dette formål gennem forebyggende, hjælpende og håndhævende virksomhed.

§ 2 Politiet har til opgave:
at forebygge strafbare forhold, forstyrrelse af den offentlige fred og orden samt fare for enkeltpersoners og den offentlige sikkerhed,
at afværge fare for forstyrrelse af den offentlige fred og orden samt fare for enkeltpersoners og den offentlige sikkerhed,
at bringe strafbar virksomhed til ophør samt efterforske og forfølge strafbare forhold,
at yde borgerne bistand i andre faresituationer,
at udføre kontrol og tilsynsopgaver efter gældende ret,
at yde andre myndigheder bistand efter gældende ret og
at udføre andre opgaver, der følger af gældende ret eller i øvrigt har en naturlig tilknytning til politiets virksomhed.

§ 3 Politiet kan uden for de tilfælde, hvor indgreb er hjemlet i anden lovgivning, alene foretage indgreb over for borgerne i det omfang, det følger af bestemmelserne i dette kapitel.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 20.07.2012 at 16:59.]
Written on: 20.07.2012 20:49
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Saturnus wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

Saturnus wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:
And it's not the police's job to patrol a private happening that Roskilde Festival organizes.


You're wrong. It's not only their job. It's their duty.


Please show me where this is stated. RF is after all a private enterprise. It's the same as if a nightclub felt the need for police at the door; they'd have to pay for that service.

The police at Roskilde is to do their normal job, investigate etc; not patrolling a huge camping area


Politiloven

§ 1 Politiet skal virke for tryghed, sikkerhed, fred og orden i samfundet. Politiet skal fremme dette formål gennem forebyggende, hjælpende og håndhævende virksomhed.

§ 2 Politiet har til opgave:
at forebygge strafbare forhold, forstyrrelse af den offentlige fred og orden samt fare for enkeltpersoners og den offentlige sikkerhed,
at afværge fare for forstyrrelse af den offentlige fred og orden samt fare for enkeltpersoners og den offentlige sikkerhed,
at bringe strafbar virksomhed til ophør samt efterforske og forfølge strafbare forhold,
at yde borgerne bistand i andre faresituationer,
at udføre kontrol og tilsynsopgaver efter gældende ret,
at yde andre myndigheder bistand efter gældende ret og
at udføre andre opgaver, der følger af gældende ret eller i øvrigt har en naturlig tilknytning til politiets virksomhed.

§ 3 Politiet kan uden for de tilfælde, hvor indgreb er hjemlet i anden lovgivning, alene foretage indgreb over for borgerne i det omfang, det følger af bestemmelserne i dette kapitel.


That is a given. But for them to patrol the camping to an extent it will make a serious difference, extra police force would have to be hired. I meant to say that we can't expect them to drop everything else or work overtime (for free) to put enough police patrolling the camping areas to really change things.

So I still stand by what I've said: It costs, and Roskilde better fork out the money or find alternative solutions because today's situation have to be reversed.

Written on: 21.07.2012 01:39
Kong Gulerod
Posts: 462
Top Secret Identity wrote:

That is a given. But for them to patrol the camping to an extent it will make a serious difference, extra police force would have to be hired. I meant to say that we can't expect them to drop everything else or work overtime (for free) to put enough police patrolling the camping areas to really change things.

So I still stand by what I've said: It costs, and Roskilde better fork out the money or find alternative solutions because today's situation have to be reversed.


The Police has to match its work to the requirements of the public and the society. Within reason.

As society it shold be possible to allow for music festivals without festivals having to pay "extra" for a service the police is already obliged to provide.

The police's responsability is to keep us safe and assists us atall times - When we are at home, when we are shopping, when we on the road, when we are at parties - And also when we are at festivals. It is perfectly natural - They hold the Danish monopoly on "allowed violence" and the right to arrest people in order for them to be able to assume this responsability. How sad would it be if we would have to pay extre for this service in relation to certain events and certain situations?

In America the slogan is "To serve and protect" - And I have the right to be served and protected by the Danish police when I am in Denmark - Even when I am at Roskilde.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 01:41.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 08:53
Saturnus
Posts: 3047
Kong Gulerod wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

That is a given. But for them to patrol the camping to an extent it will make a serious difference, extra police force would have to be hired. I meant to say that we can't expect them to drop everything else or work overtime (for free) to put enough police patrolling the camping areas to really change things.

So I still stand by what I've said: It costs, and Roskilde better fork out the money or find alternative solutions because today's situation have to be reversed.


The Police has to match its work to the requirements of the public and the society. Within reason.

As society it shold be possible to allow for music festivals without festivals having to pay "extra" for a service the police is already obliged to provide.

The police's responsability is to keep us safe and assists us atall times - When we are at home, when we are shopping, when we on the road, when we are at parties - And also when we are at festivals. It is perfectly natural - They hold the Danish monopoly on "allowed violence" and the right to arrest people in order for them to be able to assume this responsability. How sad would it be if we would have to pay extre for this service in relation to certain events and certain situations?

In America the slogan is "To serve and protect" - And I have the right to be served and protected by the Danish police when I am in Denmark - Even when I am at Roskilde.


I completely agree. I cannot even imagine why Høstler doesn't feel it his right to be under the protection of the police.
Written on: 21.07.2012 09:13
Christian Forslund
Posts: 334
For Roskilde it is probably similar to high-risk football matches, where the police is present in high numbers. But there is talk about the clubs should have to pay for the presence of the police, since it is expensive and the need is created by the footballclubs.
From that it would appear that there is no fixed rule on what services from the police that an event like RF can expect. But RF can not be considered a high-risk event, since theft is a minor crime, and therefore, I don't think a large police force will ever be sent to Roskilde.
Besides it would not be in the spirit of the Festival.

That the gyspies are among the thiefs are not surprising, but I'm not sure RF will do much about that, since they appearently are quite happy about the gipsyes at the festival. But I still feel a campaign about common sense and behaviour at RF would lower the amount of theft.
Written on: 21.07.2012 10:29
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Saturnus wrote:

Kong Gulerod wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

That is a given. But for them to patrol the camping to an extent it will make a serious difference, extra police force would have to be hired. I meant to say that we can't expect them to drop everything else or work overtime (for free) to put enough police patrolling the camping areas to really change things.

So I still stand by what I've said: It costs, and Roskilde better fork out the money or find alternative solutions because today's situation have to be reversed.


The Police has to match its work to the requirements of the public and the society. Within reason.

As society it shold be possible to allow for music festivals without festivals having to pay "extra" for a service the police is already obliged to provide.

The police's responsability is to keep us safe and assists us atall times - When we are at home, when we are shopping, when we on the road, when we are at parties - And also when we are at festivals. It is perfectly natural - They hold the Danish monopoly on "allowed violence" and the right to arrest people in order for them to be able to assume this responsability. How sad would it be if we would have to pay extre for this service in relation to certain events and certain situations?

In America the slogan is "To serve and protect" - And I have the right to be served and protected by the Danish police when I am in Denmark - Even when I am at Roskilde.


I completely agree. I cannot even imagine why Høstler doesn't feel it his right to be under the protection of the police.


You are showing a complete lack of reading capabilities. Or lack of wanting to understand what I write.

Did you see the part where he wrote about "within reason". That is exactly what I'm saying!

But please, do carry on

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 10:38.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 10:33
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Christian Forslund wrote:

For Roskilde it is probably similar to high-risk football matches, where the police is present in high numbers. But there is talk about the clubs should have to pay for the presence of the police, since it is expensive and the need is created by the footballclubs.
From that it would appear that there is no fixed rule on what services from the police that an event like RF can expect. But RF can not be considered a high-risk event, since theft is a minor crime, and therefore, I don't think a large police force will ever be sent to Roskilde.
Besides it would not be in the spirit of the Festival.

That the gyspies are among the thiefs are not surprising, but I'm not sure RF will do much about that, since they appearently are quite happy about the gipsyes at the festival. But I still feel a campaign about common sense and behaviour at RF would lower the amount of theft.


Exactemundo, and I asked because in Norway when a private organization needs extra police force to provide safety due to an event they hold- they have to pay for that service as extra officer will have to be called in to work overtime.

Now: I know that police already are at Roskilde Festival, but to do something about this problem a lot more is needed. Either police or professional security. And that would cost money.

As it is now, the Danish police will only send enough officers that can be considered within reason.
Written on: 21.07.2012 10:50
Saturnus
Posts: 3047
Top Secret Identity wrote:

Saturnus wrote:

Kong Gulerod wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

That is a given. But for them to patrol the camping to an extent it will make a serious difference, extra police force would have to be hired. I meant to say that we can't expect them to drop everything else or work overtime (for free) to put enough police patrolling the camping areas to really change things.

So I still stand by what I've said: It costs, and Roskilde better fork out the money or find alternative solutions because today's situation have to be reversed.


The Police has to match its work to the requirements of the public and the society. Within reason.

As society it shold be possible to allow for music festivals without festivals having to pay "extra" for a service the police is already obliged to provide.

The police's responsability is to keep us safe and assists us atall times - When we are at home, when we are shopping, when we on the road, when we are at parties - And also when we are at festivals. It is perfectly natural - They hold the Danish monopoly on "allowed violence" and the right to arrest people in order for them to be able to assume this responsability. How sad would it be if we would have to pay extre for this service in relation to certain events and certain situations?

In America the slogan is "To serve and protect" - And I have the right to be served and protected by the Danish police when I am in Denmark - Even when I am at Roskilde.


I completely agree. I cannot even imagine why Høstler doesn't feel it his right to be under the protection of the police.


You are showing a complete lack of reading capabilities. Or lack of wanting to understand what I write.

Did you see the part where he wrote about "within reason". That is exactly what I'm saying!



Your extremely ability of having totally missed the point confounds me. I'll not say, carry on, because I'm sure you will continue rambling on non-sensically irregardless.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 10:51.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 10:55
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Saturnus wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

Saturnus wrote:

Kong Gulerod wrote:

Top Secret Identity wrote:

That is a given. But for them to patrol the camping to an extent it will make a serious difference, extra police force would have to be hired. I meant to say that we can't expect them to drop everything else or work overtime (for free) to put enough police patrolling the camping areas to really change things.

So I still stand by what I've said: It costs, and Roskilde better fork out the money or find alternative solutions because today's situation have to be reversed.


The Police has to match its work to the requirements of the public and the society. Within reason.

As society it shold be possible to allow for music festivals without festivals having to pay "extra" for a service the police is already obliged to provide.

The police's responsability is to keep us safe and assists us atall times - When we are at home, when we are shopping, when we on the road, when we are at parties - And also when we are at festivals. It is perfectly natural - They hold the Danish monopoly on "allowed violence" and the right to arrest people in order for them to be able to assume this responsability. How sad would it be if we would have to pay extre for this service in relation to certain events and certain situations?

In America the slogan is "To serve and protect" - And I have the right to be served and protected by the Danish police when I am in Denmark - Even when I am at Roskilde.


I completely agree. I cannot even imagine why Høstler doesn't feel it his right to be under the protection of the police.


You are showing a complete lack of reading capabilities. Or lack of wanting to understand what I write.

Did you see the part where he wrote about "within reason". That is exactly what I'm saying!



Your extremely ability of having totally missed the point confounds me. I'll not say, carry on, because I'm sure you will continue rambling on non-sensically.


Great, the famous "kverullant" strikes again. It seems that every discussion must be a personal battle for you, a battle of wits. Please explain to everyone where I have ever said it is not a right to get protection from the police for example. Your ability to make discussions personal is unrivaled by anyone here. I guess it's a big part of your personality in real life too. I'm not here to try and prove my intelligence, so give it a rest.

Did you find your tent in the end?

I hope you don't have a cat!

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 10:56.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 12:23
Kaneda
Posts: 381
Christian Forslund wrote:

But I still feel a campaign about common sense and behaviour at RF would lower the amount of theft.


It would indeed, because if most guests actually had common sense, and left their expensive shit at home, there would be little a thief would bother to search through a tent for. Hence, less thieves to steal the essentials and slash the tents of the rest of us.

Who knows, as a side effect it might also put a slight damper on audience chatter (considering probably 50% of what we overheard were about what someone just wrote on facebook or twitter), and lead to a few less people experiencing the concert through a camera phone - forcing those behind them to do the same and preferably remain absolutely calm in order to not cause them to drop and step on it.

Win-win. icon_wink.gif

Or, (slightly) less flippantly, let's look at it the other way around. Why am I supposed to feel unsafe (I don't, but some understandably do) and watch the festival throw out millions for security - security that, psychologically speaking, tends to make the majority feel more unsafe - and hence lessens, as Christian said, the festival spirit? Just because certain people haven't yet figured out that their smartphones and other expensive crap will do just fine without them for 9 days, and that leaving them behind might actually give them a better experience?

A campaign, of course, won't change a thing, and the whole police/private security thing is (thankfully) never going to happen, so yeah, in reality... Lose-lose. Until people figure things out by themselves. Is that ever going to happen? Probably not until we get many more thieves at Roskilde. There clearly aren't enough yet. icon_razz.gif

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 12:37.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 12:37
Saturnus
Posts: 3047
Kaneda wrote:

Christian Forslund wrote:

But I still feel a campaign about common sense and behaviour at RF would lower the amount of theft.


It would indeed, because if most guests actually had common sense, and left their expensive shit at home, there would be little a thief would bother to search through a tent for. Hence, less thieves to steal the essentials and slash the tents of the rest of us.

Who knows, as a side effect it might also put a slight damper on audience chatter (considering probably 50% of what we overheard were about what someone just wrote on facebook or twitter), and lead to a few less people experiencing the concert through a camera phone - forcing those behind them to do the same and preferably remain absolutely calm in order to not cause them to drop and step on it.

Win-win. icon_wink.gif

Or, (slightly) less flippantly, let's look at it the other way around. Why am I supposed to feel unsafe (I don't, but some understandably do) and watch the festival throw out millions for security - security that, psychologically speaking, tends to make the majority feel more unsafe - and hence lessens, as Christian said, the festival spirit? Just because certain people haven't yet figured out that their smartphones and other expensive crap will do just fine without them for 9 days, and that leaving them behind might actually give them a better experience?

A campaign, of course, won't change a thing, and the whole police/private security thing is (thankfully) never going to happen, so yeah, in reality... Lose-lose. Until people figure things out by themselves.


+1

As I stated earlier. I only lost some cash, who cares about that really? My pathetic festival phone and all the other crap I drag along on the festival was there to for the thief to pick from. Understandably he (or she) didn't want any of it.

I also don't think we need more police or safety personnel. There's plenty of that already. We just need people to be less stupid. Tall order perhaps. Maybe even too tall.

Oh, and the festival is doing something about the possibility of losing cash to thieves as well. Hopefully already next but at least in a few years, the festival will be completely and utterly cash-free.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 12:39.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 12:37
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Kaneda wrote:

Christian Forslund wrote:

But I still feel a campaign about common sense and behaviour at RF would lower the amount of theft.


It would indeed, because if most guests actually had common sense, and left their expensive shit at home, there would be little a thief would bother to search through a tent for. Hence, less thieves to steal the essentials and slash the tents of the rest of us.

Who knows, as a side effect it might also put a slight damper on audience chatter (considering probably 50% of what we overheard were about what someone just wrote on facebook or twitter), and lead to a few less people experiencing the concert through a camera phone - forcing those behind them to do the same and preferably remain absolutely calm in order to not cause them to drop and step on it.

Win-win. icon_wink.gif

Or, (slightly) less flippantly, let's look at it the other way around. Why am I supposed to feel unsafe (I don't, but some understandably do) and watch the festival throw out millions for security - security that, psychologically speaking, tends to make the majority feel more unsafe - and hence lessens, as Christian said, the festival spirit? Just because certain people haven't yet figured out that their smartphones and other expensive crap will do just fine without them for 9 days, and that leaving them behind might actually give them a better experience?

A campaign, of course, won't change a thing, and the whole police/private security thing is (thankfully) never going to happen, so yeah, in reality... Lose-lose. Until people figure things out by themselves.


I am not afraid for my things, I keep everything in the "wardrobe" (the real description escapes me at the moment). But someone entering my tent when I sleep is a very scary proposition. Just to know that someone entered my tent (happened once) and went through my things are unpleasant in itself.

I've seen and heard of too many stories where the staff weren't capable of dealing with situations that occurred.

Also: I had to bring a my tablet this year, as I have a business in Kenya and it's not easy to stay on top of things without it. I also suffer from AD/HD and needs to play games, surf, watch movies (alone) or some of that sort to unwind from time to time. icon_wink.gif

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 12:46.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 12:49
Kaneda
Posts: 381
Saturnus wrote:

Oh, and the festival is doing something about the possibility of losing cash to thieves as well. Hopefully already next but at least in a few years, the festival will be completely and utterly cash-free.


Yeah, thought about that when I read the thread a few days ago. At first it may seem that the only way to do that is to make the cash-free payment identifiable (which it will be anyway, if nothing else then if/when they make it part of the wristband). But it doesn't really need to be, considering most of the ('professional') thieves have no intention of spending the stolen money at the festival anyway.

Høstler wrote:
But someone entering my tent when I sleep is a very scary proposition. Just to know that someone entered my tent (happened once) and went through my things are unpleasant in itself.


It is. The point is, it's not likely to happen if just 75% of the festival guests have nothing worth going through a tent for. These days, it's probably 10% at most.

Don't blame the festival. Blame the audience. Then blame the festival - because they're the only ones who can change the audience. icon_wink.gif

Also: I know you were there in the 90's. How did you deal without games/surfing/movies then? icon_razz.gif

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 21.07.2012 at 12:51.]
Written on: 21.07.2012 13:00
Classic rock dude!
Posts: 2490
Kaneda wrote:

Saturnus wrote:

Oh, and the festival is doing something about the possibility of losing cash to thieves as well. Hopefully already next but at least in a few years, the festival will be completely and utterly cash-free.


Yeah, thought about that when I read the thread a few days ago. At first it may seem that the only way to do that is to make the cash-free payment identifiable (which it will be anyway, if nothing else then if/when they make it part of the wristband). But it doesn't really need to be, considering most of the ('professional') thieves have no intention of spending the stolen money at the festival anyway.

Høstler wrote:
But someone entering my tent when I sleep is a very scary proposition. Just to know that someone entered my tent (happened once) and went through my things are unpleasant in itself.


It is. The point is, it's not likely to happen if just 75% of the festival guests have nothing worth going through a tent for. These days, it's probably 10% at most.

Don't blame the festival. Blame the audience. Then blame the festival - because they're the only ones who can change the audience. icon_wink.gif

Also: I know you were there in the 90's. How did you deal without games/surfing/movies then? icon_razz.gif


Good question icon_wink.gif

Answer: I was younger and had more energy and I didn't know about my condition so I didn't know what was going on with myself and thus I also struggled quite a bit. I read books and listened to music, but as I wasn't on medication I didn't have the patience to sit still for long
Written on: 23.07.2012 11:32
Eef
Posts: 289
I guess a lot has been said about this security issue.
But what scares me is that it might be more and more through the years. Don't know that for sure though.. since it is only my 5th RF.

And I don't bring really expensive stuff with me.. I couldn't really care about it if I would lose it. And I think most of the smart festival people wouldn't do that either. BUT...the thing is, that RF doesn't seem to do anything about it exept some lame campaign. That's pretty annoying.


E-mail
Password
Remember me
Forgot password?
Ophavsretten tilhører Roskilde Festival.
Informationerne må alene anvendes til eget ikke-kommercielt brug.
Dette site anvender cookies.
Læs mere om brugen...