Roskilde Festival's discussion forum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

You must be logged in to post. Log in eller create a user profile.

Quick guide for the search
X


  • Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Camping Area Characteristics


Author Message
Written on: 21.01.2013 11:39
Asbjørn Olling
Posts: 16
Being a Roskilde-newbie, I've been gathering information from all the different friends and internet sources that I possibly can to optimally plan my festival this year.

However, one thing that seems pretty important that's also nearly impossible to gather up information about, is the characteristics of the different campsites.
I made this thread with intentions of a collaborative effort towards making a definitive chart that could clear things up a bit for newbies.

Obviously J is Silent and Clean, and apparently L is "party apocalypse."

So, TL;DR: Post your previous camping experiences in different areas, pros/cons.
Written on: 21.01.2013 11:45
Wallu
Posts: 706
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmCvpO66sQ

Don´t know if this is true, but West (B,C & E) used to have a bit older and a bit more international audience in it. (All my experinces of West are from 2009 or from the beginning of the millenium, so I really don´t know what I´m talking about.. icon_smile.gif)

J is the Silent & Clean, the name pretty much speaks for itself. Maybe a little too silent for my liking, but if you need to sleep 6-8 hours a night, that´s the place to go.

I´ve only been to P once. It was nice with a pretty good chance to sleep a little bit in 2010. That may be because it was stangely only 3/4-full that year.

I´m too old for L & G. Period. icon_smile.gif

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 21.01.2013 at 11:57.]
Written on: 21.01.2013 12:00
TMaagaard
Posts: 380
You've got a lot of room in P hence you'll get a lot of big camps in my experience, "efterskoler" and such. If you arrive late this is probably where you're going to find a spot.
L is very popular. If you want to get a spot there you have to be in the front of the queue and quick when you get in through the gates. A lot of partying going on here.
Written on: 21.01.2013 23:36
Detonade
Posts: 7
Im going with a couple of friends for the first time as well. We're having a hard time choosing where to camp, but we are leaning towards L or C.

Would really appreaciate some input here, as it's quite crucial as to which entrance we order tickets to (east/west).

Thanks!
Written on: 22.01.2013 09:26
Coldblooded
Posts: 1228
Detonade wrote:

Im going with a couple of friends for the first time as well. We're having a hard time choosing where to camp, but we are leaning towards L or C.

Would really appreaciate some input here, as it's quite crucial as to which entrance we order tickets to (east/west).

Thanks!

L or C would be impossible for me to choose from – they're equally loud and rowdy party zones close to the stages. You'll have to arrive really early to get a spot in either of those two Agoras.

Asbjørn: Here's a quick guide, which may or may not be relevant this year, since the festival sometimes move shit around. Not the agoras, but the activities.

Agora B – northern Agora on the west side. Close to stages, houses a skating area with activities in the warm up period. A party area, but not as loud and rowdy as the C area.
Agora C – west's answer to L. Since a lot of people pass through this agora, is a major party zone. Game City is here.
Agora E – southernmost Agora on the west side, and arguably the quitest. No major activities take place here.
Agora G – will expand northward in 2013 and once again become the most wanted Agora on the east side since it's so close to the stages. The Apollo Countdown stage will be situated here.
Don't know if the festival radio's headquarters will also move, but they've been there for the past couple of years too.
Agora H – central eastern Agora, also a massive party zone. Close to the swim lake.
Agora J – Silent & Clean. A small Agora far from the stages in the south.
Agora K – Swim City – small Agora, usually with lots of partying going on, since it's Roskilde's "Ibiza area". If the weather is shitty, all of that dies down though.
Agora L – eastern major party Agora. Close to the stages and lots of mayhem going on throughout the week.
Agora M – one of the newest Agoras, also fairly close to the stages. Houses Roskilde's 'Poor City' initiative.
Agora N - an Agora near the easterne entrances, which thus also gets populated very fast. Contains the Roskilde Cinema which shows films throughout the week – music documentaries aswell as sneak premiéres and a bunch of other stuff.
Agora P – the biggest Agora, the one farthest from the stages and thus also the one that populates most slowly of them all. A mix of latecomers, boarding school camps of 100s of people and Dream City-workers live here. Dream City is basically a build-what-you-want area, where people get let in months before the festival even starts, if they've got a good idea for something artsy, an installation, architecture etc.

Unused agoras:
D – was a parking area last year. Can't remember if it has ever been in use.
F – used to be south of E.

Written on: 22.01.2013 13:20
Asbjørn Olling
Posts: 16
My idea was to make an infographic of some sort, for convenience.
I first thought this was a genius idea, seeing as the newbie guide on this site seems to leave out a lot.
Would this be awesome, or am I wasting my time?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8416824/temp/roskilde_infographic_thing.JPG

Written on: 22.01.2013 14:11
Wallu
Posts: 706
Asbjørn Olling wrote:

My idea was to make an infographic of some sort, for convenience.
I first thought this was a genius idea, seeing as the newbie guide on this site seems to leave out a lot.
Would this be awesome, or am I wasting my time?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8416824/temp/roskilde_infographic_thing.JPG




I don´t think there´s so much difference between the sections, that it would help that much to point out that there´s "moderate partying" in some areas as it is one big party all around. But nice to see that kind of "Roskilde-geekness". Keep it up and join the club.. icon_biggrin.gif
Written on: 22.01.2013 17:08
Martin Horn Pedersen
Official RF person
Posts: 1265
Asbjørn Olling

Can you have the pic a bit smaller? It fuck up the design
Written on: 29.01.2013 12:13
Asbjørn Olling
Posts: 16
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:

Asbjørn Olling

Can you have the pic a bit smaller? It fuck up the design


Eh, not sure what you mean?
Written on: 29.01.2013 13:01
Wallu
Posts: 706
Asbjørn Olling wrote:

Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:

Asbjørn Olling

Can you have the pic a bit smaller? It fuck up the design


Eh, not sure what you mean?


You have to scale the picture, so it isn´t wider than the screen so the text will be shown correctly. But it´s ok now.
Written on: 29.01.2013 17:17
RF newbie
Posts: 6
TMaagaard wrote:

L is very popular. If you want to get a spot there you have to be in the front of the queue and quick when you get in through the gates. A lot of partying going on here.


How about C? How early would you have to be to get an alright spot there? We only need room for one tent and one pavillion.
Written on: 29.01.2013 17:24
Martin Horn Pedersen
Official RF person
Posts: 1265
RF newbie wrote:

TMaagaard wrote:

L is very popular. If you want to get a spot there you have to be in the front of the queue and quick when you get in through the gates. A lot of partying going on here.


How about C? How early would you have to be to get an alright spot there? We only need room for one tent and one pavillion.


Very early... C will get full very fast..and a pavillion takes a lot of space
Written on: 30.01.2013 23:20
RF newbie
Posts: 6
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:

Very early... C will get full very fast..and a pavillion takes a lot of space


Are we talking several days before or saturday morning? I really have no idea what your means of very early is
Written on: 31.01.2013 08:31
Coldblooded
Posts: 1228
EDIT: Double post.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 31.01.2013 at 12:25.]
Written on: 31.01.2013 08:32
Coldblooded
Posts: 1228
Coldblooded wrote:

RF newbie wrote:

Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:

Very early... C will get full very fast..and a pavillion takes a lot of space


Are we talking several days before or saturday morning? I really have no idea what your means of very early is

Saturday evening. No-one gets let in until 18:00. But yeah, C will probably fill up instantaneously.
Written on: 31.01.2013 12:31
B.
Posts: 652
Coldblooded wrote:
Agora E – southernmost Agora on the west side, and arguably the quitest. No major activities take place here.

If I remember correct at least for one or two years all the major party camps where located in E.

Coldblooded wrote:
Agora P – the biggest Agora, the one farthest from the stages and thus also the one that populates most slowly of them all. A mix of latecomers, boarding school camps of 100s of people and Dream City-workers live here. Dream City is basically a build-what-you-want area, where people get let in months before the festival even starts, if they've got a good idea for something artsy, an installation, architecture etc.


Really? I don't think I ever noticed that icon_frown.gif

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 31.01.2013 at 12:51.]
Written on: 31.01.2013 21:06
Coldblooded
Posts: 1228
B. wrote:

Coldblooded wrote:
Agora E – southernmost Agora on the west side, and arguably the quitest. No major activities take place here.

If I remember correct at least for one or two years all the major party camps where located in E.

Coldblooded wrote:
Agora P – the biggest Agora, the one farthest from the stages and thus also the one that populates most slowly of them all. A mix of latecomers, boarding school camps of 100s of people and Dream City-workers live here. Dream City is basically a build-what-you-want area, where people get let in months before the festival even starts, if they've got a good idea for something artsy, an installation, architecture etc.


Really? I don't think I ever noticed that icon_frown.gif

About the party camps, yes – a couple of years, Orange Camp, Van Damme Camp and Promilleservice was there side by side. But not many quadrants behind them, it was pretty quiet, activity-wise. All three are more or less defunct now.

You can read more about the Dream City initiative here: http://roskilde-festival.dk/news/singlenews/participate-in-dream-city-2013/
Has to be said, that since I wrote the post you are quoting above, a representative from the festival has stated that Dream City will now be situated in Agora H.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 31.01.2013 at 21:07.]


E-mail
Password
Remember me
Copyright belongs to Roskilde Festival
Information can be used in private and non-commercial matters, only.
This site uses cookies.
Read more about it…