D
    H
    M
    S
until Roskilde Festival 2014 - 29 June to 6 July

Roskilde Festival's discussion forum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

You must be logged in to post. Log in eller create a user profile.

Quick guide for the search
X

• Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Rihanna announced on danish radio P6

Written on: 15.01.2013 14:26
halfred
Barbados....
Written on: 15.01.2013 14:34
I Like Turtles
Looking forward to this! She has 47 singles to choose from, and pretty much everyone can sing along to at least a couple of songs. Could be a great show. and I recall that her Herning gig got some great reviews as well
Written on: 15.01.2013 14:57
Eef
i agreee with mark steensen, I bet she is a pretty good performer.
Anyhow i'll be too wasted to really care by then icon_wink.gif
Written on: 15.01.2013 15:36
Kaneda
Coldblooded wrote:

Isn't this also the first time we see the countrycode (BB) used? Kaneda?

Officially, yes. I haven't double-checked all of Roskilde's mistakes through the years (e.g. listing Muse as 'DK') - and I haven't split out INT acts (yet) either - there are 101 of those.

Also, sometimes it's not that black/white where an artist comes from. Sometimes artists have been listed as being from a foreign country although they live in Denmark and have Danish citizenship (the cases I remember were all a case of the artist originating from that country and playing a style of music associated with that country, although living in Denmark). Also remember one instance of a band listed as "SE", although they were Norwegians (or vice versa) - by request from the band.

Anyway... The history thing is on hold at the moment. But currently, there are no artists linked to B(R)B in the database.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 15.01.2013 at 15:36.]
Written on: 15.01.2013 15:55
AMST152
The reactions on FB of course are inappropriate, but I think as a festival, you have to incalculate these emotions after booking a product instead of an artist (without attacking the integrity of Rihanna). Looking at the names Northside gave today, the whole Rihanna-thing feels a bit odd. Also, we haven't had one really exceptional headliner (Sigur Rós plays everywhere, almost likewise for QOTSA, etc), and that's why people overestimate the Rihanna-spot on the line-up. On the other hand, the Roskilde-public has become so volatile, that the announcement of let's say a special name (Bowie (unlikely), Neil Young (likely), My Bloody Valentine, Atoms for Peace,...) could turn things around again.
Written on: 15.01.2013 16:04
Wallu
I have been giving this total surprise a few hours now and I have to say I´m kinda agreeing with you guys here. Not often does one get to see one of the biggest pop-stars of the planet. Curious may be the right word.

Christian Forslund wrote:

She also have far more likes already than any bands ever on Facebook and seems like an obvoius booking for the closing concert at orange (when Prince can, so can Rihanna.

Now hold on. You´re not really comparing these two just because Prince has few pop songs? The man plays every instrument out there superbly (for example his guitar skills are up there with even Jimi Hendrix himself). He has more charisma than the whole Rihanna´s generation combined. And most of all there´s no-one funkier than Prince. Not wanting to bitch about this or trash Rihanna but maybe you´re missing out on one of the greatest artists ever.
Written on: 15.01.2013 16:36
gixbit
Usually around ten bands play at Orange stage during a festival. The bands we had before Rihanna are all heavy, Slipknot, Volbeat, Queens Of The Stoneage (and maybe Sigur Ros who of course are not so heavy). And I guess we'll see some other big guitarbased, probably white men, artist announced in the coming months.

For me it's kind of a revelation having something different on Orange for a couple of hours. Therefore I think Rihanna is a great booking. I'm sure she has the right production and songs to fill a big stage like that.

For exampel Machine Head and Amadou & Mariam both played good concerts there last year but isn't big enough to draw a crowd and hasn't the production to really reach out to a big field like that. Rihanna hopefully has the right things in her pocket to put on a great show. I don't see her as closing act though. That would be strange.

And people complaing that she dosen't write her own material. Just take a look in your musichistory book. There are many great artist who haven't written the songs that made the great.

I certainly don't know how it will turn out, but I think it's a brave and much needed booking.
Written on: 15.01.2013 16:37
The Juice
Thoughts:

- Naturally, a pop sensation-booking like Rihanna is going to disturb the calm waters of Roskilde-related social media. Rihanna represents a generation of musicians and music lovers who stray far away from what people commonly associate with Roskilde's profile as a festival.

- Booking Rihanna drastically conflicts with this statement by Esben Danielsen in the wake of the 2011 festival, hinting at what many of us have known for a couple of years now: that Roskilde's management is struggling desperately to find a durable strategy in today's Northern European festival climate.

- Rihanna will obviously be closing Orange on Sunday. This means that her show will be of minor or no inconvenience for those of us who would prefer doing pretty much anything but wathing it. I.E.: If you don't want to watch it, you can just as well go home.

- Major internationally acclaimed pop acts of Rihanna's magnitude are obviously ridiculously expensive. This means that booking Rihanna takes a huge chunk of the budget away from booking other acts. This could be problematic were it not for the fact that this debate is probably as old as the festival itself. People who didn't want to watch Springsteen last year made similar complaints and the same goes for Prince in 2010, Coldplay in 2009 etc. One could argue that Rihanna differs further away from the festival's profile than the three others. One could also argue that it hardly makes any difference. Rihanna will attract a huge audience, which is what matters most and Rihanna will most likely deliver a lot of value for money.

- Rihanna will attract a large party friendly female audience ages 16-30, some of which will be staying the full week because the prospect of seeing Rihanna will make them favor Roskilde over other festivals. This is good news to single male Roskilde-goers.

In sum, the Rihanna booking is not the worst thing that has ever happened to Roskilde Festival. It's an unusual and somewhat odd booking, but a positive one none the less.
Written on: 15.01.2013 16:45
TMaagaard
It's actually incredible the amount of people getting riled up about this. I mean it's one act out of around 200. How can one get angry about that? Just don't go to that one particular show.

And I agree with The Juice that the budget argument is pretty tedious. I didn't care much for Bruce Springsteen (or Björk for that matter) last year, neither did I care for Prince when he played. I had a great festival both years anyway with lots of memorable concerts.
Written on: 15.01.2013 16:56
Niceone
It stings quite a bit to see Northside pull out The Knife and Alt-J today, knowing that Roskilde had a fair shot at both, but dismissed them. For Rihanna.

A lot of people seems happy with this, though - so good, I guess.

But apart from the obvious filler-material for the Orange space, I simply dont understand this disposition...
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:05
JockeyFullOfBourbon
The Juice wrote:

Thoughts:

- Rihanna will obviously be closing Orange on Sunday. This means that her show will be of minor or no inconvenience for those of us who would prefer doing pretty much anything but wathing it. I.E.: If you don't want to watch it, you can just as well go home.

I can´t see why she obviously would close Orange? she doesn´t seem like the ideal closer
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:07
Benny Hill
But, but, but why?
Omg....
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:10
The Juice
Niceone wrote:

It stings quite a bit to see Northside pull out The Knife and Alt-J today, knowing that Roskilde had a fair shot at both, but dismissed them. For Rihanna.

Either you have some insights into the booking process that the rest of us don't, or you are jumping to conclusions. I'm pretty sure the Roskilde bookers have had plenty of opportunities to book both The Knife and Alt-J and decided not to. Booking Rihanna is hardly directly related to not booking somebody else.

Booking acts for festivals is hardly like a week long transfer window containing some 20 acts every week, that can then only be assigned that one week and which changes from week to week.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 15.01.2013 at 17:11.]
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:10
jonas caspersen
I would argue that the amount of money spend on artists like Rihanna, could buy another great act, and since Rihanna doesn't appeal to me, I have no problem with people that complains about this choice.

This is of course a great show, but I don't go to Roskilde to see the show, I go there for the music I love, and I don't really care about the lights, fireworks, bling-bling and what ever these pop-artists usually use for entertainment..
Maybe this an old stand to take, and I'm not complaining, I just defend the people that have different taste, and I'm a bit sad that they've used 1/4 of the booking money on an act I'm not at all interested in..

See you in the summer though!
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:13
Saturnus
JockeyFullOfBourbon wrote:

The Juice wrote:

Thoughts:

I can´t see why she obviously would close Orange? she doesn´t seem like the ideal closer

My first impulse was also that it was a Sunday closing act but now I'm more inclined to believe that it takes the place of the big Friday/Saturday night party gig instead.
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:25
gixbit
jonas caspersen wrote:

I would argue that the amount of money spend on artists like Rihanna, could buy another great act, and since Rihanna doesn't appeal to me, I have no problem with people that complains about this choice.

This is of course a great show, but I don't go to Roskilde to see the show, I go there for the music I love, and I don't really care about the lights, fireworks, bling-bling and what ever these pop-artists usually use for entertainment..
Maybe this an old stand to take, and I'm not complaining, I just defend the people that have different taste, and I'm a bit sad that they've used 1/4 of the booking money on an act I'm not at all interested in..

1/4 of the booking money! Where have your read that? I seriously doubt that.

And btw Rihanna has the songs and the voice. You can't seriorly think that she has gotten this far with bling bling and all that. How about Slipknots image. Do you think they gotten that far if they hadn't had the songs, just the masks? Surely not, you have to have both.
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:27
TMaagaard
jonas caspersen wrote:

That's the problem though. Try finding an artist of similar size (not physical by the way, that wouldn't be hard) that everyone likes. It can't be done. Whoever was booked for that kind of money would almost certainly not fall in everyone's taste.
Anyway, this is why I don't complain about individual artists as there are so many others on the final roster. If at that point I don't like what I'm seeing then I might complain, but chances are I'll be very happy with the final line-up.

Oh and

gixbit wrote:

1/4 of the booking money! Where have your read that? I seriously doubt that.

This.

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 15.01.2013 at 17:29.]
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:31
The Juice

She'll get an evening spot, which under normal surcumstances rules out Friday and Saturday since they most often get reserved for rock or metal.

Here' a chronological list of evening acts on Orange the last five years:

Thursday: Radiohead, Kanye West, Gorillaz, Iron Maiden, The Cure

Friday: Kings of Leon/Grinderman, Nick Cave/Oasis, Alice In Chains/Them Crooked Vultures, Mastodon/Portishead, The Cult/Jack White

Saturday: Judas Priest/Neil Young, Gogol Bordello/Slipknot, Kashmir/Muse, Arctic Monkey/The Strokes, Bruce Springsteen

Sunday: Jay-Z, Coldplay, Prince, Kings of Leon, Björk

I'm probably too quick to dismiss Thursday, but looking at how the major acts were placed the last couple of years, it makes a lot more sense to place Rihanna on Sunday than on Thursday. Sunday is the safe bet; the crowd is tired and want something easily digestible that can close the festival with recognisable hooks and dance-friendly beats. Obviously, Björk is the odd one out here, and as always, Roskilde is full of surprises meaning that both scenarios are feasible.
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:45
Saturnus
The Juice wrote:

She'll get an evening spot, which under normal surcumstances rules out Friday and Saturday since they most often get reserved for rock or metal.

Doubt it. She'll get a Friday or Saturday closing spot like M.I.A/DeadMau5 in 2011, Nephew/Prodigy in 2010, or Pet Shop Boys in 2009. The Friday/Saturday 01:00 spot has traditionally been reserved for this type of acts, ie. the popular pop or electronic acts. Look back the last 10 years if you like, 16 out of 20 Friday/Saturday 01:00 Orange stage acts in that time have been pop or popular electronic acts.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 15.01.2013 at 17:54.]
Written on: 15.01.2013 17:54
IcmpEcho
Hope she catches a cold
Written on: 15.01.2013 18:03
Saturnus
Lasse Søndergaard wrote:

Hope she catches a cold

Moronic comment is moronic.
Written on: 15.01.2013 19:09
Julius
Whatever happened to the ”no more music for the masses” statement roskilde made in 2011?

First of all I think the diversity in the programme is one of the strongest powers of Roskilde Festival, and I do think that QOTSA & Slipknot (and the so far various hip-hop acts), are VERY good bookings, allthough I dont like the music, and thats my own personal opinion. But the reason why I believe that Rihanna is more a show than an actually musician, is the fact that her music isn't written by her self, and she's apparently claiming to be an honest pop artist. Yes, she do have a lot of massive hits in her backpack, but does that mean she have a lot of quality too?
I don't think she contributes with anything new (at all) to mainstream-pop-industry, and her songs are very simple and sounds like each other (same chords).
I think it's a shame that Roskilde spends such a huge part of their budget on this headliner, and I think pop artists like: Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Beyonce, Jay-Z would have been much more in the ”Roskilde Spirit”, simple because they have contributed with new ideas and sounds to the mainstreammachine...
Again, this is my own personal opinion...
Written on: 15.01.2013 19:32
The Juice
Saturnus wrote:

Doubt it. She'll get a Friday or Saturday closing spot like M.I.A/DeadMau5 in 2011, Nephew/Prodigy in 2010, or Pet Shop Boys in 2009. The Friday/Saturday 01:00 spot has traditionally been reserved for this type of acts, ie. the popular pop or electronic acts. Look back the last 10 years if you like, 16 out of 20 Friday/Saturday 01:00 Orange stage acts in that time have been pop or popular electronic acts.

You make a valid point and she does have material that would be somewhat misplaced on a lazy Sunday evening. Her up beat stuff would probably be very fitting for an Orange Stage night time party.

However, I would think that having her perform a night time set would be to downplay her stardom. The major acts almost always play sets that start in the evening and Rihanna's popularity is much better compared to the likes of Coldplay, Jay-Z and Prince than to M.I.A, The Prodigy or The Chemical Brothers.

I guess we'll see icon_smile.gif
Written on: 15.01.2013 19:39
gixbit
Julius wrote:

Whatever happened to the ”no more music for the masses” statement roskilde made in 2011?

First of all I think the diversity in the programme is one of the strongest powers of Roskilde Festival, and I do think that QOTSA & Slipknot (and the so far various hip-hop acts), are VERY good bookings, allthough I dont like the music, and thats my own personal opinion. But the reason why I believe that Rihanna is more a show than an actually musician, is the fact that her music isn't written by her self, and she's apparently claiming to be an honest pop artist. Yes, she do have a lot of massive hits in her backpack, but does that mean she have a lot of quality too?
I don't think she contributes with anything new (at all) to mainstream-pop-industry, and her songs are very simple and sounds like each other (same chords).
I think it's a shame that Roskilde spends such a huge part of their budget on this headliner, and I think pop artists like: Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Beyonce, Jay-Z would have been much more in the ”Roskilde Spirit”, simple because they have contributed with new ideas and sounds to the mainstreammachine...
Again, this is my own personal opinion...

Do you know she's taking a huge part of the budget? Of course she's a headliner and get well paid but does she costs more then the other headliners? People assume that but nobody knows.

Everybody has different tastes and relate to music differntely. For me all Slipknot songs sound the same (still like them quite a bit)
Written on: 15.01.2013 19:45
Lord Beef Jerky
22 or 01 o'clock friday or saturday evening/night is what we should expect here. She gets a lot of good reviews for her live performances, and even though I understand the criticism, I'm on the positive side here. This is what Roskilde needs to keep a party going and to keep it's diversity at a max. You could argue that another similar pop artist would be a more fitting booking, but you have to remember, that not everybody is available during Roskilde and a lot of other factors in the booking process should be considered. Rihanna is hardly the strangest and least fitting act to play Roskilde (Avril Lavigne and Daniel Beddingfield springs to mind here), so aim your guns elsewhere. If Roskilde continues to book large radio artists this year, then I'm all the way with you. But one act out of many? Let's just wait and see what else Roskilde has to offer. Sadly I can't see them top Northside this year however.

Password
Remember me
Copyright belongs to Roskilde Festival
Information can be used in private and non-commercial matters, only.
This site uses cookies.
Read more about it…