D
    H
    M
    S
until Roskilde Festival 2015 - 27 June to 4 July

Roskilde Festival's discussion forum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

You must be logged in to post. Log in eller create a user profile.

Quick guide for the search
X

• Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with many replies

Rihanna announced on danish radio P6

Written on: 15.01.2013 23:41
ingisto
The Juice wrote:

- Major internationally acclaimed pop acts of Rihanna's magnitude are obviously ridiculously expensive. This means that booking Rihanna takes a huge chunk of the budget away from booking other acts. This could be problematic were it not for the fact that this debate is probably as old as the festival itself. People who didn't want to watch Springsteen last year made similar complaints and the same goes for Prince in 2010, Coldplay in 2009 etc. One could argue that Rihanna differs further away from the festival's profile than the three others. One could also argue that it hardly makes any difference. Rihanna will attract a huge audience, which is what matters most and Rihanna will most likely deliver a lot of value for money.

But.. these are musicians. Major difference. It's a music festival after all.

I'm a bit disappointed that Roskilde (most likely) have spent a large amount of money on an act like this, but I guess It's not gonna be a problem getting drunk and go see something else. The people claiming this ruins the entire festival is exaggerating a bit I think.
Written on: 16.01.2013 00:03
The Juice
ingisto wrote:

If somebody can sing as well as Rihanna, I think that more than qualifies them as musicians. Vocals are an instrument too, you know. Especially when you're singing demanding lead vocals.

Also, you're kind of missing the point. People are always going to find ways of critizising the major acts if they are not to their liking, and the major acts usually end up delivering very solid, crowd pleasing and critically acclaimed live shows (RHCP in '07 being the most recent exception to that rule).

People probably made similar complaints regarding Jay-Z in 2008 and that turned out to be a great show (so I've been told). If anything, Rihanna is at least as much of a musician as Jay-Z.
Written on: 16.01.2013 00:28
Pree
The Juice wrote:

If anything, Rihanna is at least as much of a musician as Jay-Z.

Whait.. what?
Written on: 16.01.2013 08:47
zoon_67
Not my cup of tea, but nothing to worry about. Unless it is true that this is the big money spender, a 10 m dkr whopper, filling the Bruce spot of RF13. Then it is shit. The Swedish press trashed the Rihanna show of last year at Peace and Love festival. If this the Sunday closer, the I can take leave of RF early this year.

This piece was really nasty "Frånvarande Konserten med Rihanna förvandlas till en grav som förtjänas att skottas igen." think you Danes can figure it out.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/rockbjornen/article15056912.ab
Written on: 16.01.2013 09:20
Desmond
for me its the same like beoncé at glastonbury 2011. noone expected it, but she made a great concert.
a big risk for glastonbury, but worth it at the end.
Written on: 16.01.2013 10:21
gixbit
ingisto wrote:

The Juice wrote:

- Major internationally acclaimed pop acts of Rihanna's magnitude are obviously ridiculously expensive. This means that booking Rihanna takes a huge chunk of the budget away from booking other acts. This could be problematic were it not for the fact that this debate is probably as old as the festival itself. People who didn't want to watch Springsteen last year made similar complaints and the same goes for Prince in 2010, Coldplay in 2009 etc. One could argue that Rihanna differs further away from the festival's profile than the three others. One could also argue that it hardly makes any difference. Rihanna will attract a huge audience, which is what matters most and Rihanna will most likely deliver a lot of value for money.

I'm a bit disappointed that Roskilde (most likely) have spent a large amount of money on an act like this, but I guess It's not gonna be a problem getting drunk and go see something else. The people claiming this ruins the entire festival is exaggerating a bit I think.

I guess you mean that's is a differntation between musicians and vocalists.

Otherwise it's ridicoulous claiming that Rihanna isn't a musician. You can't mean that seriously. Do you mean that all female or male vocalists who dosen't write ths songs aren't musicians. How about Elvis Presley for example. He was the co-writer of very very few of his songs. Is he an musician or what.

And I bet that the band Rihanna has backing her is better musicians than most other at the festival. For example her guitarist Nuno Bettencourt is regarded as one of the best around with a long background in different groups.

If you don't like her music that's another thing.
Written on: 16.01.2013 12:08
ingisto
gixbit wrote:

ingisto wrote:

The Juice wrote:

I guess you mean that's is a differntation between musicians and vocalists.

Otherwise it's ridicoulous claiming that Rihanna isn't a musician. You can't mean that seriously. Do you mean that all female or male vocalists who dosen't write ths songs aren't musicians. How about Elvis Presley for example. He was the co-writer of very very few of his songs. Is he an musician or what.

And I bet that the band Rihanna has backing her is better musicians than most other at the festival. For example her guitarist Nuno Bettencourt is regarded as one of the best around with a long background in different groups.

If you don't like her music that's another thing.

I mean there's a difference between those who take part in the creative process and actually make something, and those who only do as they're told (like typical studio guitarists, Elvis and Rihanna). The first ones I would consider musicians, the second are more like craftspeople. In that manner Jay-Z and Rihanna are completely different.

If one would use the word musician or not is of course a matter of definition, but I guess I and many others react on Roskilde booking an act with so little musical credibility and such a high circus/striptease factor. Especially when it's a big part of the budget.

Written on: 16.01.2013 13:00
Christian Forslund
After reading all the negative comments on Facebook, I can see that the mainproblem the haters have is that they fear that Rihanna will attract the wrong crowd, which appearently is the teeage-girls who aren't fit for the mud (or something like that) and certainly will not appreciate any other music on the festival.

Do they have a point? Are Rihannas fans so much different from the typical RF goer that you always will able to spot anyone, who will be attending her concert and will she actually draw a new different crowd to the festival.. and will that be a problem.

Then there is af cause the question if she is being too expensive (if she costs 10mio or something like that), but there I could make the same argument with Bruce and Prince, that they were very expensive and the money could instead be spent on something I like.
Written on: 16.01.2013 13:08
The Rehabilitation of Luis Suarez
I rather have teenage chicks going to a pop party than teenage boys on drugs and/or too much alcohol going for a dance act and trashing the camping site.
Written on: 16.01.2013 13:17
Saturnus
Most that only wants to see Rihanna will probably buy a one-day ticket, so I don't see the problem there either. Bruce was a little different as most of his die-hard fans could easily afford a full ticket just to see that one show, also in the light that a full Roskilde ticket wasn't actually more than 20-30% more than a standard concert ticket to his shows are.

I doubt that many of those going for the sole purpose of seeing Rihanna won't also stay for all or most of the rest of the festival. They're simply not in a target audience that can afford the extravagance of spending that much for a single concert. And while there, there's a very real and overwhelming chance that they will be won over by the Roskilde spirit and become die-hard fans of the festival.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 16.01.2013 at 13:20.]
Written on: 16.01.2013 13:20
TMaagaard
Saturnus wrote:

Most that only wants to see Rihanna will probably buy a one-day ticket, so I don't see the problem there either. Bruce was a little different as most of his die-hard fans could easily afford a full ticket just to see that one show, also in the light that a full Roskilde ticket wasn't actually more than 20-30% more than a standard concert ticket to his shows are.

I doubt that many of those going for the sole purpose of seeing Rihanna won't also stay for all or most of the rest of the festival. They're simply not in a target audience that can afford the extravagance of spending that much for a single concert.

Good point.
Written on: 16.01.2013 13:20
Martin Horn Pedersen
Official RF person
Like most act, one act don’t chance the crowd. So no I don’t think it will chance a lot in the camp life. Will the be sold a lot of 1 day ticket for girls that normally would not come? It might.. but Bruce did dat with older men, but that didn’t chance the camp life.. yes there was more old men at the show but that was also it..

And about the price.. we don’t know how much they paid.. but yes she is a headline and cost money.. but if the money is spend on Rihanna, Pet shops boys or Deadmu5 don’t matter to me.. it is not like if they had not booked her ppl would get a big metal name instead

Edit: Damit, Saturnus types faster then me icon_wink.gif
Written on: 16.01.2013 13:43
Desmond
Do I need a new profile name? wrote:

I rather have teenage chicks going to a pop party than teenage boys on drugs and/or too much alcohol going for a dance act and trashing the camping site.

+1
Written on: 16.01.2013 13:54
Rockmus
Desmond wrote:

Do I need a new profile name? wrote:

+1

+1 for me too - except if the boys are swedish and want to learn how to sing Kim larsen in "rigtig dansk"
Written on: 16.01.2013 14:09
Mr. Monster
http://heltnormalt.dk/rydforsiden/2013/01/16/125959 icon_biggrin.gif
Written on: 16.01.2013 14:37
Så scorede Lyngby sgu!
zoon_67 wrote:

Not my cup of tea, but nothing to worry about. Unless it is true that this is the big money spender, a 10 m dkr whopper, filling the Bruce spot of RF13. Then it is shit. The Swedish press trashed the Rihanna show of last year at Peace and Love festival. If this the Sunday closer, the I can take leave of RF early this year.

This piece was really nasty "Frånvarande Konserten med Rihanna förvandlas till en grav som förtjänas att skottas igen." think you Danes can figure it out.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/rockbjornen/article15056912.ab

Well, the reason for the bad show at Peace & Love supposedly was because her grandmother died the same day, which would make most of us shaky when going on stage soon after getting such a message. Remember that she's a young woman, and pay attention to the to great reviews she got after the concert in Boxen instead http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/54124 (Politiken isn't bad either http://politiken.dk/ibyen/nyheder/musik/koncert-beat/ECE1435011/rihanna-gav-herning-en-ujaevn-lapdance/ ), which were probably closer to her normal standards.
Written on: 16.01.2013 15:07
ingisto
Christian Forslund wrote:

After reading all the negative comments on Facebook, I can see that the mainproblem the haters have is that they fear that Rihanna will attract the wrong crowd, which appearently is the teeage-girls who aren't fit for the mud (or something like that) and certainly will not appreciate any other music on the festival.

Do they have a point? Are Rihannas fans so much different from the typical RF goer that you always will able to spot anyone, who will be attending her concert and will she actually draw a new different crowd to the festival.. and will that be a problem.

Then there is af cause the question if she is being too expensive (if she costs 10mio or something like that), but there I could make the same argument with Bruce and Prince, that they were very expensive and the money could instead be spent on something I like.

I don't think that's a problem. Considering the rest of the line up I don't think the average teenage girl would want to stay for the entire festival. And if they do, that's great! Roskilde festival is the perfect time to exit your musical and social comfort zone and try something different, and that goes for teenage girls as well as for the rest of us.

[This article was edited 2 times, at last 16.01.2013 at 15:29.]
Written on: 16.01.2013 16:17
Unison
Loving that you guys are more positive than the facebook page. Not a fan of rhianna myself but thats why festivals are multi stage events..

Geesh I cant wait for my first roskilde.
Written on: 16.01.2013 18:33
Eef
I agree with the above by Saturnus and the others.
And to mention the crowd issue. I don't get the fuzz to me IT is the same as an act like deadmau5. Totally drugged fucked up in the mind people crowd with bad vibe around them. I'd rather have rihanna fans...you can make fun of them and throw Beers in the crowd without chicks and dicks on speed and cocaïne chasing you because they feel like their clothes are ruïned.
Written on: 16.01.2013 19:44
The Rehabilitation of Luis Suarez
The only problem I have with the booking is the bad attitude she has shown on the last album. I am thinking about the lyrics about the abuse she suffered, allowing that lowlife Chris Brown to even make some bad points about how tough it was for him to handle the aftermath and such.

That just made me sick.

So a bit bad timing, but nonetheless. I'll probably be there.
Written on: 17.01.2013 01:36
The Juice
Eef wrote:

And to mention the crowd issue. I don't get the fuzz to me IT is the same as an act like deadmau5. Totally drugged fucked up in the mind people crowd with bad vibe around them. I'd rather have rihanna fans...you can make fun of them and throw Beers in the crowd without chicks and dicks on speed and cocaïne chasing you because they feel like their clothes are ruïned.

And people who go to see Slayer are violent psychopaths. Easy on the stereotypes there, sweetheart.
Written on: 17.01.2013 06:11
Psykruuse
The Juice wrote:

Eef wrote:

And people who go to see Slayer are violent psychopaths. Easy on the stereotypes there, sweetheart.

Agreed. What a load of crap to post.

Besides teen girls will poop in your tent icon_razz.gif
Written on: 17.01.2013 08:38
Wallu
Psykruuse wrote:

The Juice wrote:

Eef wrote:

I might like that.. icon_wink.gif
Written on: 17.01.2013 13:12
Eef
Wallu wrote:

Psykruuse wrote:

The Juice wrote:

Eef wrote:

I might like that.. icon_wink.gif

Hahaha noooooo it is just for example...I mean what is the fuzz.. when deadmau5 played or jay z i thought there weren't that much people crying because of the fact that they played. Anyway crap post or not. I think Rihanna is at least hot to look at.
Written on: 18.01.2013 17:47
Niceone
The Juice wrote:

Niceone wrote:

It stings quite a bit to see Northside pull out The Knife and Alt-J today, knowing that Roskilde had a fair shot at both, but dismissed them. For Rihanna.

Either you have some insights into the booking process that the rest of us don't, or you are jumping to conclusions. I'm pretty sure the Roskilde bookers have had plenty of opportunities to book both The Knife and Alt-J and decided not to. Booking Rihanna is hardly directly related to not booking somebody else.

Booking acts for festivals is hardly like a week long transfer window containing some 20 acts every week, that can then only be assigned that one week and which changes from week to week.

(sorry for the late answer)

As far as I heard, Roskilde practically passed the bands in question to that crap-festival they wound up on (which in itself just annoys the hell out of me).

Personally I feel it as a bit of a let down. I choose my yearly festival the same way I choose what bars and clubs to visit; from my taste in people, music and general vibe. And yes, I guess I am quite attached to Roskilde after all these years...

I dont mind Rihanna as such (I'm sure a lot of guest will have a nice time), but like when my favorite bar chooses to install a Breezer-tap instead of that supertasty new stout everyone heard about, or starts to buy over exposed pop to replace innovative, experimental, groundbreaking... well, music in the juke box, I must admit I feel, yes, a bit let down and a bit confused. Dont they have that stuff everywhere else? Did they only have room for one and went for Breezer? What?

Do you know what I mean?

I am not the one to claim that Roskilde is this and not that, but the entire frame of this festival - the entire vibe - is perfect for music that stands out artistically and tries to push boundaries globally at the music-scene and/or locally at the festival. I feel it is a shame, when names like The Knife finally - after ten years - pops up for festivals and Roskilde lets them pass! They said no to one and yes to another. That is a priority. Not that they chose directly between them. That is not what I mean. Or know of.

As mentioned before - it just stings when that priority becomes evident. I am pretty sure, they could have had all three.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 18.01.2013 at 17:56.]

Password
Remember me
Copyright belongs to Roskilde Festival
Information can be used in private and non-commercial matters, only.
This site uses cookies.
Read more about it…