Roskilde Festival's discussion forum

In order for everyone to understand your posts, you are encouraged to write in English.

You must be logged in to post. Log in eller create a user profile.

Quick guide for the search
X

• Wildcard-Search
    With the help of a so-called wildcard you can look for several search words, which have the same word beginning. If you search e.g. for "Typo*", the search will find everything that begins with "Typo" : Typo3, Typoscript, Typocode, Typo3user... etc.
  • Negative search
    If you do not want to find certain expressions in your search result, you can cause this with placing a hyphen in front. Terms containing this phrase are excluded from the search result.
  • Search for user
    It is possible to limit the search result on answers of certain users. In addition to the retrieval query attach still another "user:username" and find the results, which were written by this certain user. If the username could not be found this will be ignored.
Quick guide for Indexing
X
 Quick guide for the search
Topic with no new replies

2012... To sum it up

Written on: 09.07.2012 23:42
hed
Not really summing it all up, just noticed a couple of things i think the organizers should review in the fall.
1. Stayed at the get a tent this year. Never before, so didn't know what to expect. A weird experience. You have to walk forever just to get to the site, but there's probably not much to do about that. When entering the camp/festival area by east 1 you had to go through the muddy soil instead of walking down the empty asphalt road leading up to gate 5? and 6. The showers and toilets at get a tent were great. The best I've been to at a festival! What wasn't so nice was the whole Dankort thing. Don't really know what the special Dankort system is all about, but a beer/ drink stall at the get a tent, where I would guess that there are quite a few foreginers that doesn't take standard ainternational plastic (visa etc.) is pretty bad. Especially if you are going "no cash" next year.

2. Come rain come shine. Either way the festival area is lacking shelter from the sun/rain. Would be great with a few more sails here and there.

3. What baffled me the most this year was a thing happening at 2 separate shows at separate scenes. The first one was Lee Ranaldo (from Sonic Youth) playing at odeon. The barely has one record, said in the set that they had to play a couple of cover songs to have enough material for "a whole concert", but still was pushed out on the stage again after they were done, with Lee claiming "they had to play another 5minuets to get paid". At that time I didn't know what to think of the comment, but next noon, at Cerebral Ballzy, when the band were done, they too were pushed out again on stage to play some more, looking like big questionmarks. This show was at pavilion. They ended up playing a couple of the songs they played earlier in the set just to fill the time spot, being clearly uncomfertable. My question to whom it may concern: what is this all about? Different stages, so clearly some festival policy of filling some exact time slot, allthough the bands in question didn't even have enough material for this.

4. You should do something about the Odeon stage. It's not a nice stage. Don't know if it's the placement or atmosphere or what it is. The small rock concerts at pavilion have a much better vibe.

5. I heard a spokesperson fromthe festival, probably Esben Danielsen, saying on the festival radio that Roskilde Festival is aiming for a wider international audience. If you are ever going to make thos dreams a reality, if your aim is still to focus on music, you should do something about your main band bookers. Some of the smaller print names might be new and exciting, but on most of the subliners and their size you are often 3-4 years too late. Is there a plan for a scene with a capacity of maybe 10-12 thousand people?

That's all I've got for now. Had a quite nice festival with Sage Francis, Spoek Mathambo, Red Fang and of course Refused being the highlights.
Written on: 10.07.2012 00:31
Kaneda
hed wrote:

2. Come rain come shine. Either way the festival area is lacking shelter from the sun/rain. Would be great with a few more sails here and there.

Even more places to sit when the ground is muddy would be great to. That was nicely improved this year, but still need more. This was particularly evident on Saturday if going near Orange.

My question to whom it may concern: what is this all about? Different stages, so clearly some festival policy of filling some exact time slot, allthough the bands in question didn't even have enough material for this.

Baffled me too - also the exactly one hour concerts when the artist needed just a bit more to make the concert perfect (Bellowhead and Sam Amidon spring to mind, although I'm not sure if it was Amidon who commented the same thing about getting paid, or someone else - remember it one more place than Ballzy). This is especially curious since Roskilde used to pride itself on "full concerts rather than amputated 45 minute sets". The one thing I can think of, in terms of wanting exactly an hour, is that people will blame the festival more so than the artist, if a concert is deemed short. Maybe the strict slots are a result of the record number of acts this year.

4. You should do something about the Odeon stage. It's not a nice stage. Don't know if it's the placement or atmosphere or what it is. The small rock concerts at pavilion have a much better vibe.

Used to love Odeon, but this year, yeah, lacking. One thing that hasn't been solved is that people are always concentrated on the left side of the stage. The festival tried to help that on Arena by moving it and changing the architecture around it, but that one's also sometimes half empty on the right side outside the pit, when the left side makes it look absolutely packed.

The total restructuring of the festival site that's planned for next year may help things.

5. I heard a spokesperson fromthe festival, probably Esben Danielsen, saying on the festival radio that Roskilde Festival is aiming for a wider international audience. If you are ever going to make thos dreams a reality, if your aim is still to focus on music, you should do something about your main band bookers.

There are a lot of problems with Esben's vision (yeah, quite sure it was Esben as head of development saying this) when compared with what the festival is actually doing. The way too broad target audience; like you say, the subliners and to some extent headliners; the half-arsed accommodation of English speakers (no festival paper, some announcers still forgetting about people not speaking Danish etc.) There's a long way to go to get back to 2003's level. For a start, stop focusing on stuff like touring foreign cities - I doubt you'll get more than a handful visitors from each city, as long as you're not focusing on making the actual festival appealing to foreigners again.

[This article was edited 1 times, at last 10.07.2012 at 17:10.]
Written on: 16.07.2012 15:20
Eef
1. I love the Gloria stage BUT: it's too bad the water is only at the sided.. so you get dehydrated really fast.... it sucks icon_wink.gif there was this cool gypsy music band playing and mennn it was hot!!

2. What about the new payment system..i didnt use it. How was it?

3. The moving apollo stage.. maybe you should put it just @ one spot. so people can actually find it icon_wink.gif I mean i could but I was too drunk to do any effort. That's too bad cozz it seemed to be beautiful!

But other then that i had an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing festival icon_wink.gif

Password
Remember me
Copyright belongs to Roskilde Festival
Information can be used in private and non-commercial matters, only.
This site uses cookies.
Read more about it…